Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fork lift interest......

thedaddycat

I am presently passing an idea around to several members about making a fork lift attchment for these great little machines. It wouldn't be the same as the OEM ones, but would be similar. How many of you out there would be interested in getting one of these units? I have no idea how much it would cost, but want to try to get at least some feel for interest in them. Perhaps folks would rather have loaders, I don't know. I do know that the only way to find out is to ask........ So let me know if you're interested and we'll see what comes of it!!

Kirk, I'd have more use for a loader before a forklift. Curious, where is Griswold, CT ? Is that up near Hartford or on the CT River?

It's easier to post these pics of my manual than it is to try to describe the parts drawn.... What I have in mind is pretty much one of these but with electric linear actuators for lift and tilt.... Mast, carriage, and forks

Under frame

Kirk, I sent you a pm. The pics make it look a lot simpler than I had imagined from the few pics I could find.

I think it's a grand idea if you got use for a forklift.I would imagine cost would be a major factor and what does it do to or for the value of your tractor.

I think the fork lift would be a cool attachment to have but. I believe for the most part people would have more use for the loader.

Kirk, there is a guy at this place {kebitz} he has a lot of older stuff and seems to be able to make/get anything. Here is a link to his forklift. He seems to be a real nice guy maybe he can help you out. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg031951269091.html?9

I have seen people put a ball hitch on a fork and move trailers around. I'd be concerned moving around a 7000lb boat/trailer combination with a 3012/B112 class machine...

i would be interested in a fork lift. how interested depends largely on cost. sam any thoughts about developing a post hole digger?

Definitely interested, main concern is cost...is it low enough to hide from the totalitarian ruler of my house...

Since the bucket on my 515 loader is in very sad shape, I'm thinking of modifying it to a "universal mount" so that I can either put forks on it, or a bucket, much like Sam did to the one he had on his 7100 series tractor. If I could lift 300-350 lbs five feet in the air, safely, I'd be happy...

I have been thinking of rigging up something like this to move my round bales...They are the small ones about 400 lbs..

Bunky look at this it might give you some ideas. http://www.ezhitch.biz/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=1817 I just looked in you'r profile I like the allis delivery it looks cool!!!! you might be able to make something like the EZ hitch that would go on the three point of the B series that you have.

Loaders are great I have one on my big Oliver, but I would never use a small loader. A fork lift however would be very handy, I like to put my parts on pallets a small 400 0r 500# fork lift that could handle an engine block or tractor transmission would be just great for me,

My friend bought a 3 pt forklift for 79 bucks similar to a johnny bucket,,it only lifts what the 3 pt does a few ft off ground,.but,.good for moving skids around,,looks well made,.

Dave, I have a friend who made his own fork lift for the 3-point on his tractor. It will lift high enough to lay the forks on my flatbed trailer. I gave him a car rear axle. We just rolled it onto the forks and he drove off. He burns firewood and has a wood box outside his family room door. Instead of hauling wood to put in the box, he now carries the box to the woodpile then brings it back to the house, by using the forks. By the way, his forks are made out of construction grade box beam. No high carbon steel there.

Rod, would channel iron work for forks only having to handle 500#? Better make the load 800#, safety factor of 60% rated load should be OK(and cover most non-running tractors being loaded into trucks or trailers, LOL)...........

Kirk, I plan to use 4 inch channel for forks when I make the front end loader unit. Flat side up, webs down, and taper the webs from ends for about 8 inches. The amount of load that can be lifted really depends on the length of the forks, and whether you are considering these loads to be at the point of the forks or back in the middle of the forks. I'll try to look up some information and do a calculation of the bending loads on the forks, so that you know what can be used. If I were using hydraulics, I would use an adjustable bypass valve and set it just shy of bending the forks. Don't know how to adjust the max load with an electrical linear actuator.

Kirk, My rough calculations indicate that a single piece of extruded 4 inch channel(construction grade, not bent flat stock) attached at one end and cantilevered out three feet, should fail in bending at about 1500 lb. With two pieces, you should have 3000 lb capability. Factor of safety would be 3000/800= 3.75. It should work well. I used 4 inch extruded channel, because I have a 20 foot joint at home and wanted to see how strong it was. Let me know if you decide to use something else and I'll figure it out for you.