Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB shaft length on Variable Speed Drive

I'm going to have to repair the shaft on my BGB for my variable speed drive on my 3012. The one I have has a worn out keyway... still runs, but really sloppy. Does anyone know how many different versions of this BGB will interchange with the 3012/B112. I know these two tractors are identical because the manual support both of these. Though can any other BGB interchange with this? What years, what models? Note: As soon as the 3112H I've been working on is 100% ready to replace the 3012, I'll be retiring the 3012 for an overhaul.

I believe the input shafts on all the BGBs are the same, the output shafts will be different for variables than the three speed tractors. Another thing is that the 3400 and later tractors use the cone clutch so again the cross shaft will be different. You can always update the older tractor to have a cone clutch or you can swap cross shafts out of your old BGB into a new one with a good input shaft...... Another option is to have a machine shop cut a new keyway into your old shaft. A third option is to use some of that two-part steel reinforced epoxy putty to fix the sloppy keyway. These ideas are worth every cent you paid for them, use them as you see fit....... lol

I've got a BGB from a B210 out in the shed. I know it was a variable speed. I can measure the shaft,if it's the same.

I have changed the output shafts on BGB. Its not that bad of a job. If the shaft from the old BGB is bad, I will look around my parts bin a see if I can find an extra one for the variable speed. Will let you know.

I have fixed sloppy keyways by using a die grinder or dremmel tool with carborundum cut-off wheels to enlarge the keyway to the next larger size. I then grind half of the key to the size of the smaller keyway in the collar or pulley. I try to leave it slightly tight so that it has to be lightly driven on and has no clearance. In other words, a custom, hand fitted key and keyway, but it works.

I went with Daddycat's second option. I pulled the shaft out, took it to a machine shop and had a new keyway cut into it on the opposite side of the shaft. Cost was $25, but I'm sure that will vary. To me it was worth it, now I'm close to being down with mine.