Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

725 Tiller

maxtorman1234
Tried tilling the garden with the 725 today, didnt work out as well as I thought. Went as slow as I could, but the tiller wouldnt till half the time, the belt would slip and It would just drag. Someone had put an incorrect pully on the tiller, so I was wondering if anybody knew the correct size, since i cannot find it in the manual. Also the 3" pully on the bgb has been welded back together? and is quickly ruining the belt. Other than that, when it did work it was pretty good. Not much luck with the briggs engine though, if I gave it more that 1/2 throttle when working, it would start coughing, sputtering and backfiring. Once I slow it down, it smooths out for a while. Anybody know what could be causing this? Thanks,,

D-17_Dave
Sounds to me like the carb just needs adjusting to smooth it out. As for the belt slipping, the belt is made to transfer power through the amount of contact surface as it touches the pulley. If the pulley is mangled as bad as you describe it can't supply enough surface to pull the load reqiered. That or an incorect size belt or not enough tention on the spring. hope this helps, Dave.

maxtorman1234
It seems as if that pully is not the one slipping, I think it is the other that attaches to the tiller. It also has the incorrect pulley, When just driving around, it runs great at 3/4 throttle, but when working, it just dosnet handle it, until I reduce the throttle to about 1/2. Thanks,,

MPH
If the carb is set right might check your points if its not pulling under load..020

maxtorman1234
Ill have to check them, but its strange how it runs good while just driving at any throttle speed, but when tilling it acts up, even when I drive away when im finished, its still acting up until i slow it down. Just seems kinda strange, Thanks again,,