Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B1 and 710 Combination

maxtorman1234

Since the front end of my B1 has totally been cut up and demented and the 725 dosent have enough power for the tiller, I was wondering if It would be possible to put the good B1 rear end on the 710 frame, and hook the tiller up to it. As long as I can get a rear lift, it should work, right? I think everything else would fit, but im just checkin. Will 12Hp be too much for the tiller? Thanks,,

The tiller will hang on the 710 and handle the 12 horsepower -- but, you'll have a real problem with the cone clutch PTO spinning it far too fast... The tiller for a B-1/725 is designed for a 2.9" (i.e. 3") drive pulley on the bevel gear box, instead of the 4" or larger cone clutch pulley. It might work, if you till with the motor running just above idle, but I wonder if you'll have enough torque down at that low of engine RPM...

Thanks, the bgb is out of the 710, so I have the b1 rear, and I'd rather just stick the whole rear on. I thought it'd work, but just not quite shure I'm guessing the clutch would align, but ill have to check. WIth this, ill have the advantage of the 12HP Kohler, and the adjustable limited slip:D Thanks,,

Not sure why my 725 keeps doing this, but if it works for you guys, its gotta eventually work for me. I'll keep trying, and see how it turns out.

Kent, don't forget that those old tillers used the rear PTO set up which also provides 2:1 reduction.......

Graham, You can put the B1 rear in the AC710, but you will have to use the side plates from the 710 because it is a longer chassis than the B1. I ran a rear from my 61 Wards (725) in an AC716 chassis for a while. Hookups will depend on which BGB that you use.

Sounds like putting the two tractors together would be more trouble than its worth. I'd just fix up the 725. Sounds like it just needs a few belts, pulleys and adjustments, I'd say it held up well for being around 40 years old.

I use my wonderboy 700 all the time for tilling and it works quite well.I was thinking about going to a larger pulley on the bgb so it will make the sead bed a little finer.I did put a piece of steel on the back that helps make the ground a little finer They are great tillers.I do also use a old model V with the small tiller for tilling between the rows but I did put sides on it so the ground does not get thrown on the plants. Works great for me.Bob

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Kent, don't forget that those old tillers used the rear PTO set up which also provides 2:1 reduction.......
Yes, but that'll hang on the 710 also... The cone clutch size is the difficult problem to work around...

I went out to take a closer look at my tillers. The two belt tiller also uses a smaller pulley than the one belt tillers, something I hadn't really noticed before. So for the two belt tiller on one hand the rear PTO reduces speed but on the other the pulley is sized for faster tine rotation as compared to the single belt tiller. Cone clutch pulley size bigger than the fixed BGB pulley for the two belt tiller, but exact final drive ratios I don't know.... One belt tiller

"New" style two belt tiller

Old two belt tiller

I hope this helps some.....

quote:
Not sure why my 725 keeps doing this, but if it works for you guys, its gotta eventually work for me. I'll keep trying, and see how it turns out.
My AC-12 has a 16hp and runs the tiller good,used last year in the garden. Karl

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Sounds like putting the two tractors together would be more trouble than its worth. I'd just fix up the 725. Sounds like it just needs a few belts, pulleys and adjustments, I'd say it held up well for being around 40 years old.
The 725 is the good tractor, that runs alright. It just dosnet run the tiller good enough. Im currently building the B-710? I have the tractor together, engine bolted and need to put the hood and driveshaft in, and adjust the shifter rod and fenders. The B1 rear end has really shortned the wheel base, and im not sure how this will effect the tractor. It looks pretty short, but i'll bet it will till good. I know I can rely on this engine, unlike the briggs[V]xx( I]'ll post some pics when I find the camera;)

quote:
[i]Originally posted by maxtorman1234 The 725 is the good tractor, that runs alright. It just dosnet run the tiller good enough. Im currently building the B-710? I have the tractor together, engine bolted and need to put the hood and driveshaft in, and adjust the shifter rod and fenders. The B1 rear end has really shortned the wheel base, and im not sure how this will effect the tractor. It looks pretty short, but i'll bet it will till good. I know I can rely on this engine, unlike the briggs[V]xx( I]'ll post some pics when I find the camera;)
My question is, if you say that the 725 runs alright and you have the tiller that was designed for it why don't you think it runs the tiller good enough? Is the engine down on power? is it using oil? or do you have some belts slipping? Everyone has there own preference on engines, I like Briggs myself, that doesn't mean they are the best, but IMO They are a good durable engine and I would not sell them short....

the 725 wont till very good at all. I cant rely on the engine, dont run right when tilling over 1/2 throttle, and burns smoke on top. Belts also slip. I thinking, if I can get the fuel problem fixed on my 12HP, the tiller will fit nicely on it, then i'll have no problems with power. I like the kohlers, and if I can, id like to have 12HP driving it instead of 7. Took the 710 for a test drive yesterday, and it runs alright, Should till/ push snow great}:)