Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

float type carb.

PhilD

I have a float type carb that is in desperate need of a rebuild.My problem is a can't unscrew the nozzle that would allow me to get to the float and other internal parts.It's fozen up and there is lots of white powder coming out of the carb...the white stuff is probably caused by the water that had been sitting in the carb for a long time.Anyway, my small engine manual tells me i need a special screw driver ( although i can see the slot and it looks like a regular screw driver should work )B+S tool # 19061.Anyone have any suggestions...I've already soaked it with WD 40 and will try to unscrew it again later but i'm thinking i should bring to someone befor i destroy the nozzel....is it a right hand thread..Thanks for you thoughts. Joe

Joe, I would also take it to a repair shop and get it fixed. These carbs can be a real bummer trying to find a replacement and the $$$ it takes to even buy one if you can find it. The last one I had trouble with was the last straw and I just figured for the $18 that I was charged it was well worth it. I don't know what yours will cost "but" its gotta be cheaper then a new one. Just a nickles worth from my side of the tracks. Good Luck and Best to go with it, >>->happyjack<-<<

I had the same problem, I carefully drilled out the main jet and used an easy out to finnish the job. The secret is to be very careful. Mike

dlcentral
What model eng. is it off of,I have some used ones here.Soak it for a few days in PB Blaster[get at NAPA] then GENTLY, not too much warm it up with a small propane torch,that should do the trick Also get a screwdriver and blunt the blade pretty good to snugly fit into the jet,providing it's still good.And yes it is rt. hand thds. Good luck with it! dlc

dlcentral
Using an impact driver with the correct blade bit allows you plenty of torque - use only by hand though - no need for hammering! Be careful - the jet is made of soft brass and if you break the slot you will not be happy. :(