Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BigSix

Magnatrac Hoe--What's It Worth?

BigSix
All: Not to be confused with my trencher, which looks like a mini backhoe, I have the opportunity to buy a backhoe attachement for a Magnatrac mini bulldozer. It is located in a trailer sitting on the ground, (no wheels) with fair access, once I peel open most of one rusted (steel) trailer wall. Trailer is semi-trailer sized, maybe smaller. It might be some kind of shipping container. The roof has fallen in, and it's a hoarder's nightmare inside. Point is, the buyer just backed out on the hoe (he kept the Magnatrac) as the trailer is nasty, full of varmints, crap, old tools (mostly junk) etc.... Apparently, he cut himself. And, I just had a tic dug out of my leg, saw the Dr./went to the blood lab (we have terrible lyme here) etc..., so it's kind of a job to recover this thing. Did I mention the prickers? I would have to hire a rollback--that's my best guess at doing it, I think--clear brush, move rusted iron, and cut open the side of the trailer, and peel. Then, I'm thinking the how could be winched out at approx. a 45 degree angle. It appears to have some massive, square frame on the tractor end, so I think it's fairly stable. My Question: What's it worth? Now, I know there are two sizes of Magnatrac hoe attachements, and I believe the rough retails for them are $3,500. and $5,000. I will go back, get model numbers, etc..., but this hoe may never have been used. It's sitting in this trailer (roof fell in) in the elements, but looks to be fine, (the parts I could see) even shiny. Says "Struck Equipment" or whatever the company's name is. The Magnatrac itself looked to be in excellent condition, albeit suffering from sitting out under a tarp. I mean, there was very little rust but on the tracks, no oil mess, just faded paint. The Magnatrac is sold, and I don't believe it went to a good home. I mention it simply to point out that if the Magnatrac has so little use, how used could the hoe be? Anyway, this hoe even appeared as though it was wrapped in plastic, but I can't be sure, as there's so much crap on top of it. I just want to know, from the Magnatrac guys on this site, and others, what they think it would do on Ebay? I will get the model specifics and revisit this space, but I just wanted a rough idea. I saw one loose hyd. cylinder, just laying on it, but I also suspect there is a backblade buried in there for it. Does anyone know if there's a sep. cylinder for a Magnatrac backblade, or the hoe, that must be detached to decouple? If it looks feasible, economically, to hire a rollback and perhaps a third guy, I might make an offer on the hoe, so any opinions on DEMAND for these hoes would be greatly appreciated. There is also a (very new looking, albeit sitting in a wet trailer) disc harrow, I believe. I can only see part of it, but it's got one or two pneumatic tires, approx. 12-14" high, and some discs, which I think are about 10" in dia. (I wasn't paying real attention as I crawled through, face down in coon****), so don't hold me to the dimensions. I definitely did see a Brinley (sp?) name on a hitch back there. If it is a new disc harrow, (tires weren't even dirty--are there tires on a disc harrow? I don't even know for sure what a disc harrow is--LOL!) for a garden tractor, what do they go for new? There is definitely some kind of back blade in there, as it looks like a very heavy garden tractor dozer blade, but the hitch is mounted backwards, i.e., ahead of the cutting edge. If it's not for the Magnatrac, it must be for a compact tractor, and this guy did not own one of those, to my knowledge. Thanks all, Peter

There's a buyer out there for everything, but what it's worth... like's been said before, "what someone or you will pay". I found a mostly complete IH3616 backhoe in Connecticut which I could buy for about $1400, story has it that it was not running and the lady bought for her husband then the neighbors started roasting her to get the tractor out of the neighborhood. A friend of mine advised me of the difficulty of finding parts for such an IH tractor. The fact that the backhoe was very specific to that model and couldn't be used on just anything. He already owned one (he has two other model tractor/backhoes - only one runs) and knew about this. I helped her find a buyer because I did a lot of research on the tractor and just referred others to her. She sold it for around $1400 and was happy to get rid of it. As for odd parts for garden tractors, I saw a Sears Loader on eBay for months at $700-800. Didn't fit Simplicity, so I wasn't about to bid on it. After you guess what it's worth, then subtract your time times your time per hour value. Don't forget to factor in your health and risk to your health. If you come out ahead, well go for it. Good luck.