Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A-C HB-112 Transmission

williamjordan

Hello everyone, Just bought a HB-112, it had been sitting outside for a long while thats for sure. [:0] Anyways there are few things on it, that can't be right! :D This is my frist Vickers so I'm not to sure what to be looking for. #1. When the pump is diengauged, the axle & axle tube all turn together with no problems. But if you put your hand on the tube while you push the tractor. The axle will spin in the tube, until it catches on someting. When the pump is engagued, the tractor will roll backwards with no problem but it is just the axle that is turning. The axle tube stays in the same spot. When pushed forward, it turn free until it will catch something. Then the axle, axle tube and the fan on the pump will all move together when you push it. Any ideas on what the heck is going on?? I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the limited slip on the right side of the axle. #2 The entire rearend when pushed side to side, will slide over the axle tube no more then about 1/2 inch. Not sure why its doing that one![:0] And thats just the begining of the list lol. Also the hydraulic lift spool valve is seized, the cylinder is rusted, the steering is locked right up and the brake wont move. lol :D I sure know how to pick em! And its missing the entire front grill, hood and rear fenders. Thanks for any input! William Jordan

First of all the movement of the axle and then catching indicates something wrong inside the diff. Could just be looseness, since the axle should not move at all side to side. If it moves a half inch, then you should lift the rear wheels off the ground, loosten the collar on the axle behind the left rear wheel, then push the entire axle assembly, right hub diff and all as far to the left as it will go. Then slide the collar on the left axle to the right till it touches the axle tube and re-tighten. You will probably find that this will fully engage the gears inside the diff and there will be no free movement inside the diff or left-right. The only forward-backward movement that there should be is because of clearance between gears and this is not much. The limited-slip feature is just friction braking of the gears. This works all the time and does not kick in and out. If there is enough force difference between the rear wheels to overcome the friction, then the spider gears will turn, allowing the diff to work.

Haven't worked on any Vickers yet, but have learned reading on this site its not a good idea to push or pull them much as your forceing the hydro unit to work backwards so to say. The fact it free rolls, then catches kinda sounds like a chewed up key on the bull gear on the axle shaft. No idea on the slide back and forth on the axle tube. Good news is you found one tight steering :). Sounds like it needs a couple can of PB blaster.

MPH, If the collar on the left side axle shaft has slipped allowing the axle to slide 1/2 inch, that is enough for the right side hub gear (about 3/8 inch wide) to disengage from the spiders in the diff. This happened on my AC716H. I was driving and suddenly it stopped, yet the drive tube was still turning. My first thought was a sheared key. Only thing wrong was that the gear was disengaged. I pushed the hub back in, and re-positioned the collar and tightened the set screws. He may be moving it enough, as he rocks it back and forth, for it to move sideways and grab the teeth of the spiders and then it will spin the tube. This is what I was trying to say.

I follow where your coming from Rod, thought of that myself too but got the impression his tranny case was moving back and forth on the axle tube which didn't sound like the left hub would lock in place too me. I only been into these trannies once and that was almost 4 years ago, would likely have to be tearing one down to activate that brain cell holding much of what I learned then.

quote:
This is my frist Vickers so I'm not to sure what to be looking for.
I have 3 three tractors with Vickers. Simplicity 3212H,3416H Allis Chalmers HB-112 Sounds like this tractor will need a lot of work.;) Karl

I've only had one with a vickers, the 416. But apart from the leak, Its a great transmission. Quiet, smooth and powerful:D