Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
LesH

AC712 vs. Cub Cadet 122 transmissions....

LesH
Are the transmissions as far as differential action the same on the AC712-- 3 speed manual/ 12 HP and Cub Cadet 12-- 3 speed manual/ 12 HP?? Which is most durable as far as transmissions for pushing dirt, both having weights on the rear wheels and ag tires ??? They are both fine machines!!!! Any opinions appreciated!!!!

JimV
I hate to say it but I think the 712 would come in 2nd. If you watch many pulls you'll see cub cadets out pull ac"s most of the time. The reason is belt slippage. I think in normal conditions you wouldn,t notice it though. Now With that said here is something else to think about. If both machines are being pushed beyond their limits I think the AC would do better because of the belt slippage would help the drive train from sustaining any severe damage, not so with a cub cadet. Just my opinion... I think they are both very good machines

HubbardRA
Cub Cadets have clutch slippage problems when pulling. They modify them with double clutch disks and heavier springs to prevent this. Without that modification, a Simplicity will outpull them. Both are good tractors. Both will do the job well. Cubs have a very strong transmission and differential that can be beefed up tremendously. Cubs are also much harder to work on than Simplicity tractors. I recently gave away a Cub 129 Hydro to a friend. I just wanted to stick to large frame Simplicitys and ACs. It is nice to have three tractors with the need for only one spare set of critical parts(diff, flexplates, PTO clutches), since most parts will fit them all.

arnoldir
I 'm pretty shure the Cub 122 has an open differential, i.e. no limited slip (I own one). Think all the Simp transaxles have some form of friction clutch or multi pinion gears that provides limited slip capability. However, for shear weight and brute strength the cub uses the same gearbox and diff as the Cub and Cub Low Boy (4 cylinder) farm tractors. On the down side, on my 122 first gear is way to fast for close quarters work and really requires the creeper gear option to be usefull in my opinion. The creeper is a 4:1 planitary gerbox that goes in front of the trans with a shortened driveshaft. Creepers usually sell for around $200.