Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 vs Sunstar advice

RodStayner

I have been contemplating what to do with my tractors. I have a 4040 w/ 60" deck, 3-pt. hitch and rear PTO. I got it last year, and the only major problem is that it burns some oil when I mow. It does need some other work done like new fuel lines, lift cables, throttle cable, etc. I also have a 16 HP Sunstar (48" deck) that is in pretty decent shape and is ready to mow. I had planned on selling the Sunstar and putting some of that money into the 4040. However, I am kind of tempted to sell the 4040 (make a little money instead of putting more in it), keep the Sunstar and eventually get something else (newer Sunstar with 60" deck or a bigger tractor like a IH Cub 184). The 4040 is a nice tractor, and I realize that if I fix it up that it would be worth a good deal more and probably last a long time. I know most of you have MANY tractors and would just add to your collection. Any advice? Rod

Build a bigger shop??? I'd likely keep the 4040 just because I like the looks of them a whole lot more. Seems the Sunstars are a good tractor from what I read here, but too me they slanted the hood the wrong way makeing them a canidate for Simplicity's 'ugly duckling'.

I resemble that! Ain't notin ugly about the Sunstar.

I got two of em. Well.. a Sunstar and a 1920H to be exact, and my son has a 1918H. I see your quandry though... I'm afraid I'd have to keep both. I like my Sunstars but those larger tractors sure are nice.

I never owned a SunStar or 1900 Series, but I sure like the looks of them and best of all, The SunStar is the tractor that "paved the way" for the current Legacy tractors!

Do what makes you happy. If you keep the 4040 look at all the things wrong with it and add some, then figure your gona spend another couple of hundred finishing what you want to do with it. If you sell it you'll have some money towards other attachments for the Sunstar. But if you keep the 4040 and fix it, look what you'll have when your done. If you spend what you need to really fix it back to new. By the way, I checked your profile and it looks more than wourth fixing.

I say keep them both! use the sun star and fix the 4040. If it take you a few years to complete the 40404, oh well. At the end you have two nice tractors. One newer and one older. Oh and maybee a few others you pick up along the way. lol Thats what I would do anyway. Elon

I have aother question for you PowerMax guru's: what is the best place to get parts for the Onan engine? I will definitely need new rings, gaskets, etc., and I've had a couple Simplicity dealers say they can't help me. I have been reading a lot about these tractors, and I think I will also change to the electric fuel pump that I see some of you have done. Any advice on parts would be appreciated. Thanks- Rod

I had a lot of success getting parts from my local NAPA dealer. He can get everything but gaskets. I reused all my old gaskets by useing care during dissasembly and RTV. Replaced head gaskets, bearings and rings and added an electric fuel pump for a little over 100.00 bucks.

Rod Depending on where you are located Contact your Closest Cummins Dealer they handle OE Parts for the Onan In Wisconsin I Deal With Cummins Great Lakes in Oak Creek Jim