Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Tim_S

6216 spring missing

Recommended Posts

Tim_S
Hello all! I have a 6216 with what appears to be two problems. The first one is there is a spring missing on the main drive pulley connected to the tranny. If you are familiar with the tractor you know there is a pulley with several bolts holding it to the assembly and they have what appears to be rubber isolators around the bolts. The rubbler isolators or grommets travel in slightly elongated holes on the pulley. This is where the spring comes in: It is attached to the pulley and when you start or stop the belt drive, it seems to relieve abrupt pulley slap for lack of a better description. I have been driving the tractor without it and wondered just how critical it is to have one. I hate to send Simplicity ten dollars for a darned spring. The second problem is that the varispeed doesnt seem to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mel_W
Tim, I have a 6216, I know the spring you are refering to and I can't be sure what it will do by it not being there as mine is still intact. As for the varidrive not working, I did have trouble with mine a few years ago and it took a while to figure out how to fix it. I'll try to explain, under the plastic in the center of the floor where all of the instructions are printed is a hinge that that is the pivot point for the variator pulleys, this was completely covered with dirt and grass clippings and it rusted fast in the position it was last used. I cut the plastic out where i figured the problem was and then I drilled a 1/8" hole on each side of the hinge and put some oil in it and worked with it until it was moving again. Then I cut a piece of aluminum to cover the hole in the plastic and put several screws in to hold it in place. Now and then I put a few drops of oil in to keep it free and havn't had any trouble since. Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×