Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Taking apart Rototillers..?

Both a friend and I need to disassemble our rototillers. Is there anything we need to be careful with when doing this? If we open this or unbolt the gear-chain case, will parts pop off? I need to change a grease fitting which is broke off and I've been limiting my use of the tiller until I can do this. Also is there any chance that if I over grease one of the fittings I am still getting a good amount of grease in my tiller? That is my hope until I can fix this.

I don`t know what model number that you have but you should beable to change a grease fitting without seperating the case. If you decide to split the case better have a torch handy and a good puller. I had a heck of a time getting the tine shafts off one to change the bearings. theres really not that many parts inside the case. Lay the case on it`s side and pull one side off and everthing should pretty much stay in place.

There is a tiller repair manual on the Simplicity site. TP_500_570_00_AT_S.pdf. It might make the job easier.

This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php

heres another place to look but might take some time main page of site and use magnify glass type in tiller.

I have been running my tiller for two years with out the tine pins in place. Hoping that it would break loose so that I can but new bearings and check the chain drive on the inside. No such luck.

I just rebuilt my tiller with new bearings. I had to because I removed the drive hubs. I am going to build one of those trencher wheels for it sometime and needed to be able to get the hubs off to mount it. Anyway, I had to heat the hubs with a torch since they were frozen on. One of the pins was seized also, I had to blow it out with a torch. To get the extensions off, make a puller. Take a piece of heavy 1-7/8 or so pipe cut about 6", drill two 7/16" holes straight across from each other about 3/8" from the end. Weld 3/8" nuts over the outside of the hole. Slide this over the end of the extension, screw the bolts into the holes on the extension. Now if you have a porto power, you could have started with a threaded end pipe and use reducers, bushings to adapt you porto power for the application, if not, go get a piece of big 3/4" all thread, weld a nut in the ID of the end of the pipe, screw in the all thread and you have a puller.

If you want the hubs off you will have to heat them if they are seized. When you heat them, it is important that you heat up a line parallel to the shaft red hot, all the way out the flange, In order to expand the ID of the hub enough to get it off you must have a 1-2" portion of the hub at least cherry red, AND THE FLANGE. I learned this the hard way, and hand to get new bearings after I repeatedly couldn't get the hubs to budge heating them over and over..Cooked the seals. I welded a 5/8" (I think) nut onto the end of the hub and used all thread to pull the hub. Holler at me if I can help more. Mike