Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SteveP

My "new" D/A 1920

SteveP
Picked up a D/A 1920 with a 60 inch deck yesterday. It's been sitting and I've been eyeing it since last fall. The guy finally came down to my price, $150. Now the bad news, it has "wiring issues" what ever that means. The Kohler M20 supposedly runs but who knows. Guess the first question I have is, is there a way to by pass all the tractor wiring to get this running first and then fix the wiring on the tractor. Model Number is 1691392 Thanks Steve

thedaddycat
Wiring is easily enough accomplished, though not necessarily very fast. Do you have any idea what the "issues" are? It seems that one of the most common ones is dirty/rusty terminals, ground not clean and tight, etc. Look for the obvious, like anywhere the harness might have rubbed through from vibration causing intermittent shorts or grounds. As far as testing the engine, just use the tractor frame as your "test bench" and do what you normaly would to check it out.... Spark? Fuel? Compression?

PeppyDan
My Sunstar started exhibting "wiring problems" last year. The problems I found with mine are the netral saftey switch(three small switches under the dash at the hydro lever), seat switch,& the ignition switch& plug. Dan

comet66
Congradulations on your aquisition! That was very cheap! There are a couple of places these can give you a problem. The starter relay is a weak point and the electronic connections get dirty and cause starting and charging problems. The first thing you want to do is to pull the hood and side covers and go through all of the electrical connections. This is the biggest problem. Between my son and I we have 3 of them. The thing I find the most agravating is the location of the front U-joint on the drive shaft . It is inside the oil cooler while you have the left side cover off you can see the removable cover on the rear of the trans cooler. One screw, slide it off, and if you have very big hands you may have trouble getting to it. All that said. We really like ours. I have been working mine for 10 years very hard and it just keeps on ticking. Good luck with yours.

MikeES
The M20 is electronic ignition, it does NOT need the battery or wires to run. If the starter turns the engine, just unplug the the 2 prong connection to the engine (grounding ignition). If the engine has a solenoid carburator (single wire running to carb) it should still start even if there is no power to the solenoid (it won't rev up). The only way that I know to by-pass the solenoid is to take out the plunger/needle out of the solenoid (a small clip holds it in place and it falls out the bottom). The solenoid is a fuel switch to prevent dieseling and improve emissions. If the tractor has an oil sentry just unplug it (right above the oil filter). If you have the ignition unplug the oil sentry will not make any difference.