Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JD110 for an AC310 with a 16hp Kohler

Kokomo

I just traded a JD 110 that I acquired free form my son, because the engine was making a strange noise when first started. I had a friend at work that buys and sells lawn equipment who had been telling me about an AC 310 that he had. It ran good when he got it but lost its spark buy the time I saw it today. I had been looking for an engine for an AC 716 and I could not believe it when I looked at the engine, it was a K241, Spec # 64446d, 16HP I believe. Does anyone know what the original application of this engine was? I assume it will fit if I change the oil pan. May need some help on what parts I can keep for later use in Simplicity tractors, have 7 Simple Tractors and the herd is growing weekly. I think the transmission is V, however the housing and shifter look like the one on my 716 six speed. Are the transmissions the same and the belt drives different? I assume the BGB is the same. Any other parts that will interchange with Simple Tractors? Had to tell someone about my find, assume you guys will understand. Bob in Kokomo, IN

Also, if its the original 10HP, and lost spark, its probably a 200$ trigger module, which went in mine. Took the oil pan off, and pushed the points plunger out and converted it to points. By far the cheapestand easiest way.

The 110's, at least the early ones, had a K-181, 8 horse engine. 112's had a 10 horse Tecumseh engine. I heard that the later 110's were 10 horse, with a K-241, and the later 112's were 12 horse, with a K-301. Maybe someone with some John Deere knowledge can help out. Pat Pat

quote:
A k241 is a 10, a k341 is a 16
JD did not put more than a fourteen HP engine in a 100 series tractor.I have seen Techumseh and Kohler engines in them,but not over 14 HP. http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/info.php

Is there a post on what you are talking about, that is converting to points. Mine has a plunger that triggers the automotive type points on the side of the engine. I can take this plunger out after removing the points. However, I assume you are talking about something else.

Ok, I have a John Deere 140. It has a K-321. Original John Deere 110 series tractors were offered with the K-161 7hp, K-181 8hp, K-241 10hp. 112's had the Tecumseh HH-100, K-241 10hp, and 12hp K-301. 120's had the K-301 12hp. 1968 140's had the K-301 12hp, and 1969-74 140's had the K-321. The K-341 was not offered until the introduction of the 200 and 300 series tractors.

quote:
Originally posted by Kokomo
Is there a post on what you are talking about, that is converting to points. Mine has a plunger that triggers the automotive type points on the side of the engine. I can take this plunger out after removing the points. However, I assume you are talking about something else.
Nope, thats the same thing im talking about, the orignial 10HP engines in the 310s had a trigger module that ran off the flywheel, and I priced one a few months ago, $200. It only costs about 30 to convert to points.

Since we're talkin JD's here, a 140 with froze up hydr tranny, 3 spool lift, hasn't run in 5 years, comes with trailer, grass colletor, mower AND 2 way hdro blade, 500 bucks.

If that 140 is a Ser. # -30000, might as well hang it up. If its after that, then you can find parts. However, I don't know if a new style tranny would go in the pre 30000 tractors.