Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tmomrik

5116 5-speed transmission jerky

tmomrik
I bought a Simplicity 5116 Special last summer. The engine runs great, however, when you shift into any gear (forward or reverse) and let out the pedal, the tractor surges into gear but than slows down. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Would I be better off trying to rebuild the transaxel, or buy a used one?

rs07
The best thing I could tell you since it is a gear transmission, try checking your drivebelt and also your idler pulleys as well as the pivot for the idler pulleys. It just may only need alittle TLC under there. It doesn't sound like there is a problem with the transaxle itself.

maxtorman1234
All my geared transmissions do the same thing. Im thinking its normal. Slows downjust after you let the clutch out, which makes me think it slows down because the initial surge is gone.

tmomrik
I guess I should have stated that I replaced the drive belt, and an idler pulley. The first belt I had put on was a cogged one, it wouldn't go in to nuetral than, but it still did the surging, that what makes me think it had something to do with the transaaxle itself. It's an extreme slown down.

mowerman1193
Is it only on take off or does it do it every revolution??I had bad shift keys in one once that was like hitting the brakes everytime the wheel went a full turn...It was like something would bind and all of a sudden let loose just in that certain spot every time the wheel went around...

Salthart
I think you will find in the 5 speeds used in those that the shift was done all on one shaft. All primary gears including reverse are on the same shaft. As someone said before, there are shift "Keys" that slide under the gears "or into the gear in the case of the reverse" The keys fit into channels in the shaft and slack can be had if the keys, gears or channels wear. But from reading what you've said, I'm thinking more along the lines of trouble in the pulley, shaft and gear for the input. I have seen many of these go bad and the ride is like a kid learning to drive a stick shift for the first time. IE jerk/almost stop. While in the case of shift keys and related trouble the ride is more like a rocking while under a no-load/level ground situation. Let us know what you find and good luck..