Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MikeDD

Glow Plug Problems

MikeDD
I have an Allis 920-D diesel, it starts pretty hard. So I started checking it out and there is only 1 glow plug, and its in the intake manifold, and it has a fuel line hooked to it. I beleive it is heating because it smokes a little bit when I hold the button down. But it doesn't seem to be getting any fuel through it. I would like to know where I can get parts for it or a new one. My local Simplicity dealer can't tell me anything about it. I hope this is the right place on the site to post this, if I am sorry. Any info would be a great help.

UCD
The 18½ hp Lombardini 790cc 10LD-400-2 diesel engine does not have a glow plug it has a manifold heater. You should hold the button in for about 30 sec. before starting and continue to hold it while cranking the engine over. The clutch should be pushed in while cranking. (the faster the engine spins over the easier it starts) I do not need to use the manifold heater on my 7790 unless it is below 32°. If the temp is below O° I use a heat lamp on the engine for about 20 min. prior to starting. I use 0w 40 mobile 1 oil in it. I have no problem starting it at -30°. The tractor is 20 years old and has over 5000 hrs on it and the only thing that has been replaced on the engine is the fuel injectors. [url]http://www.lombardiniusa.com/[/url]

UCD
Thermal start valve mounted in the intake manifold, when the start button is depressed the fuel solenoid opens allowing fuel delivery to the valve. heating coil in valve operates and valve opens, therefore fuel is ignited and drawn into the engine to heat up intake air. (engine has to be cranking to pump fuel and draw into intake) Check for leaks Connect air supply to inlet 20lbs max immerse in clean fuel for 10 seconds.If air bubbles emerge from unit replace. Check heating coil. Connect terminal in series with 12V 36 wat lamp and 12V battery for 20 seconds lamp should stay lit if coil is satisfactory Glow plug Mounted in intake manifold. Simply a heating coil only. When energized coil heats up and therefore heats intake air. Check coil as per instructions given in previous paragraph for "Checking heating coil".

UCD
If the injectors are bad it doesn't run good like a gas engine skipping. When I had a bad injector it started ok just would not rev up and run smooth. The injectors are available around $180.00 each. One other thing you can try is take the air filter out of it and see how it starts. A dirty air filter will act like a bad injector.

MikeDD
I have pulled the injecters out and had them checked by the local case-ih dealer, they said they were fine. My very first thought was the injection timing, but I was told not very likely. This is my first diesel. It starts hard warm or cold. When cold, light blue smoke and a lot of it. I was told that means a fuel problem. When I say cold I mean in the summer 70 degrees have never run it in the winter. I bought this thing on an auction, I think now that it looks like it fell out a truck or off a trailer. It has a little road rash on the side of the hood & seat deck, and there was a bearing out in the rear axle.