Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Titan

9020 Purchase?

Titan
I have a 4041 that my late Uncle purchased new. After many years of service, it has a number of problems with it which make using it somewhat of a nuisance. The charging system needs repair, the rear hydraulic control doesn't work properly so I ran the hydraulic hoses from the front hydraulics to the rear cylinder, it needs new rear tires as the old ones are badly cracked, possibly needs a new fuel pump, has off and on electrical problems, and needs some minor engine work. I also do not have a belly mower for this tractor. I do have a rear mounted Woods 3 blade mower. While all of these problems are fixable, I'd really like to buy a new compact tractor. Such a purchase just isn't in the budget right now. Yesterday, I stumbled onto a 9020 at what I feel to be a fair price. I'm making that statement after reviewing some of the prices in the classifieds on this site. It is in what I would say appears to be above average condition. I couldn't immediately identify anything wrong with it. It comes with a belly mower, which I have a use for. It also comes with a 48" tiller, which I already have one of. I'm thinking this tractor might perform well for me for several years, until I'm in a better position to buy that new compact I want. Is the demand for these tractors remaining steady, as well as the prices? By that, in several years might I expect to recoup most of what I would be paying for this tractor provided nothing significant goes wrong with it? Finally, what is the approximate asking price for a tiller since I wouldn't have a need for two? Thanks!

FrankieC
Nice try. Who are you, where are you, and how much do you want to bring me that 4041? I'm taking it for granted that you have all the original manuals with it. Hopefully, I can give you enough for the 4041 that you'll have $ left over when you get the 9020. (What is a fair price on a 9020, anyway?). P.S. What good's a profile if you don't fill some of it in? Did you set your clock ahead today?

Titan
Geez, I don't want to give away where this 9020 might potentially be located. I've only posted here a few times, but I've read this forum enough to know how seriously some of you take these tractors. Yes, I do have all of original manuals to the 4041 and for each of the implements. I even have the original sales receipt from when the whole package was bought. Unfortunately, the 4041 won't be for sale anytime soon. My Uncle bought it, and then a few years later bought an AC 720. I used both in a lawn mowing service back when I was just a kid. We sold the 720 after he passed away. Big mistake, but you can't go back. What's a fair price on a 9020? I'm assuming that it is somewhere between the $2200 and $3800 figures I'm seeing in the current classifieds. In other words, about what they cost new 25 to 30 years ago. Yes, I did set my clock ahead before going to bed last night. Thanks for the laughs! As far as used tiller prices, I seem to remember seeing an ad on here for one some time ago. I'm remembering a price somewhere between $600-800. I just wanted to double check my memory. BTW, I still haven't made my final decision on the 9020. I need to make it by 8:00 tomorrow morning though. C'mon guys, do you think I ought to jump on this deal to fill in until I can afford that new compact I really want

JMAC
Titan, You act like we are a bunch of cut throats just out to steal a deal from someone.I am fairly new here,but from what i have seen on this site,these are a bunch of good people.If you are meant to get the 9020 you will.As far as price,what are you willing to pay for a good one? From your post,you obviously know what they are worth,so act accordingly.I just bought a 9020 in January and i paid $2150 for it.It is in good condition,came with a 60" deck,well used tire chains, well used hydraulic blade,and an extra set of used tires.I wish it were in better condition but the price was right for what i wanted to use it for,and it was only an 1 1/2hrs away from my son and his family so we killed two birds with one stone.I too would be interested in the tiller,i tell myself i want to put in a garden someday.Good luck if you decide to purchase the 9020.My limited use with mine so far(pushing snow) has shown me they are workhorses.I am looking forward to mowing with mine real soon.

Titan
JMAC, I can see where you might think I was being rude, but it was intended to be humorous. I actually got a kick out of FrankieC's post, so I replied tounge-in-cheek. That said, yes, I am familiar with asking prices for these tractors. That was never a question. I was simply asking if I should really be considering purchasing this one to fill in for a couple of years. I was probably going to buy the tractor anyway, even before my initial post. I was just looking to see if anyone else would validate my decision, or what they would do if they were in the same position. Anyway, I have the trailer hooked up to my truck, checkbook in pocket, and am getting ready to head out the door. I would still be interested in other's opinions on what they expect demand and prices to be for these over the next several years. I suspect the tiller will be for sale at some point, unless I decide to keep it around as a back up unit.