Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S 12HP runs good on Starter Fluid....

I am trying to get a machine running after sitting through the past two months of this winter. It's running good on the starter fluid, but I am not seeing or smelling gas making it through the carb. I don't see any fuel filter between the gas tank and the input on the carburator. I am reviewing the B&S illustrated parts manual on the 300421, but I don't see anything looking like part 240 which is the fuel filter. I'm thinking a fuel filter may be clogged and that might be why I am not getting fuel in the carb. I did pull the gas line off the carb and gas was flowing to the carb. From the B&S book "small engine care & repair", I see there is a fuel pump, but I don't want to open unnecessary parts/problems. Where would you start looking to diagnosis this problem?

If your getting good fuel flow to the carb, then your problem must be in the carb, I guess a stuck float. Inhale, put your mouth on the gas tank and blow while you crank the engine. Remove your mouth before you catch your breath.

If that does not work is the carb a 2 piece flow jet? the main jet or tube that runs at an angle inside carb under the main adjustment needle could have crud in it if you want to see if you have fuel flowing to carb take main adjuster out and see if gas runs out if it does great if not check needle valve it may have a screen in fuel inlet elbow as well.when you put the main adjuster back in back the screw out a few turns so as to not damage the seat and snug nut than turn screw in gentley til it bottoms out and back it out 1-1/2 turns this should get it running than fine tune it from there either in or out til it runs smooth at full throttle hope this helps Jim

Yes I too would say the Carb is plugged or needle is stuck... You want to watch runing it on starting fluid when we were kids My cousin and I blew up our new push mower doing this... LOL

Roger the starting fluid comment. In fact I use WD-40 instead as it does not wipe the oil off of everything it touches and in fact lubricates.

If you have a vacume leak the carb can not draw in fuel. It could be a warn throttle shaft or bad carb gaskets or carb base gasket. Could also be a bad head gasket. Remove and clean carb, replace gaskets, check for shaft wear.