Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel Gauge Lens

Agricola

If I were to make a new lens for my fuel gauge, does it need to be curved out or would a flat piece of plastic do the trick? I have recently picked up some nice clear plastic that can be cut with a good pair of scissors and will be checking to see if it harmed by gasoline. If not, I was wondering if it would make good replacement lenses for our tank mounted fuel gauges.

Only have one with an oen gas cap and I can't read it. Haven't investigated if a piece of flat would would work. Try it out and let us know

I seem to remember a post where someone used the curved bottom of a plastic peanut butter jar- cut the plastic to shape with a little sealer on the edges and your in business.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Byrne
I seem to remember a post where someone used the curved bottom of a plastic peanut butter jar- cut the plastic to shape with a little sealer on the edges and your in business.
That was Dutch.

I did the peanut butter jar trick. Works great, just remember the vent hole, otherwise your in for other problems.

Pow'r Max Part# 170730 CAP-FUEL TANK $23.49. Short 1½ gal 156175 Fuel Tank Cap $14.30. Long 3 gal 171252 CAP, Fuel Tank, Gauge $11.73.

Do you have a price for a Allis-Chalmers 1607643 cap? (it's 9.5" long vs. 7.5" for the 171252 Simpilicity cap)

I did the PB repair and it only takes about 20 minutes and works great. I posted a pic of the finished repair last year. Do a search and you will get more info than you need. Dan Here you go, I did the search for you just click on this link. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14281&SearchTerms=gas,cap

So Dan, when you make a gas cap lens outta a Jiffy jar, how does it take for it turn into a Ford tractor?