Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Need help with a Homelite/Jacobsen Tractor

Nick
First did a search on the Yahoo Jacobsen boards, but didn't find anything. As usual I always end up back here. The neighbor has a mid 80's Homelite/Jacobsen Garden Tractor, with a Kohler 12HP engine. From what he tells me when you go to turn on the PTO switch the engine just shuts off. Could it be just the switch or should I be looking for something else? I flicked the switch a couple times, and it just didn't feel right like there was some thing that was loose in the switch. Also, is this part still available and where can I get it?

JJ MARSHALL
ran into a promble like this on a riding mower.when turn switch for electic clutch would kill engine.gas tank was about stop up.engine was not getting enough fuel.

PMax4041
Also check to see if your electric clutch is shorted to ground causing a big draw on charging system and killing engine as I had this on a John Deere 317 I fixed for a Woman only hers was that the tractor would run with clutch on and after clutch was running for a while it would heat up and kill engine found electromagnet epoxy all cracked when I took clutch apart put new electromagnet in clutch it is still mowing grass and blowing snow 4 yrs later Good Luck Jim

PatRarick
Not sure which model it is, but many with the electric PTO have the switch wired with the seat switch. The PTO switch could be bad, but I would check that first. Could be that he's not sitting on the tractor, that he has something preventing the seat from contacting the switch (such as too much junk in an underseat tool box), or a faulty seat switch. Pat