Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Inputshaft Seal

RayS

Is it possiable to replace the inputshaft seal on the BGB while it is still in the tractor? Or am I dreaming?

I measured a frame and a seal, and the seal being 1 1/4" OD will fit through a 2" hole in the frame. In theory you could put one in and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard either. How easily you could get the yoke off and key removed so you could even try to get the old seal out would be a different story....... If I had to replace a seal, I'd probably want the BGB out so I could look the whole thing over. I'd also want to be able to make sure the shaft was clean and smooth before putting the new seal in.

I agree with Kirk. I would want to be sure that the seal failed on it's own accord, rather than from loose bearings or a worn input shaft. Actually, I would replace all bearings and seals just to insure that everything is in top shape. At the most, bearings and seals are going to cost about $35. That's pretty cheap insurance. Pat