Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mice

JCB

Well the season is about here. how do ya keep mice from building there nests in the engine shroud? out of 3 lawn and garden tractors i switch off using them and within 2 weeks i have to pull the shroud and clean all the nawded paper and carbord out. i cant put moth balls in there. any ideas??? thanks john

If you are wondering what to do with the mice, rent the movie "Never Cry Wolf". You can get a few ideas from the flick. Here is a synopsis.... [url]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1014828/reviews.php?critic=columns&sortby=default&page=1&rid=761912[/url]

Try those ultrasonic repellers, we use them in the antique car industry and they do work. They run about 20-25 dollars and are battery or 120volt operated

hmmmmmmm cant use traps we have free range chickens, might try the mint? was gonna use amoina would it hurt the block or wires if it was sprayed down.???????? john

If you have cats I would think hard about using ammonia. To a cat, it's the same as urine and they will spray......

We had a mouse problem at our resort until we started putting dryer sheets everywhere. They must not like the smell of them, it might work

Do mouthballs work? I put these in and around my boat and around the boat are the tractors. I did see some mouse droppings on one of my tractors though. How can I tell if these mice nests are in my tractor already? The only hopefully saving thing is my neighbors have many cats and we have a cat problem.

Those that are using dryer sheets may not have many mice in the neighborhood?? At our northern Minnesota resort we have plenty of mice in the wild. Nothing keeps them out of RV's and buildings except traps and poison. I won't allow poison because then all the other wild life that eat mice will be poisoned if they eat one that has been in it. A good trap program will work. Keep the traps set and check at deast daily. Dan

How about grain and plaster? If you mix them up, and the mice eat it, it plugs them right up. Anyone remember how to do it? Mothballs? We don't have enough moths around here this time of year.

That's good Agricola! My grandfather showed me how to build an automatic reset mouse trap. You take a coffee can with plastic lid and put a wire through it from top to bottom. Then you string the wire across a five gallon pail near the top. You put peanut btter on the outside of the coffee can about in the middle. A mouse will crawl across the wire, onto the can after the peanut butter. The can will spin from the weight of the mouse and dump it into the pail. The auto reset funtion is caused by adding a bolt and nut to the opposite side of the coffee can to cause the peanut butter to return to the top. Just needs to be slightly more weight than the peanut butter. To much and the mouse won't get dumped. My grandfather always put water in his to drown the mice. If you want a humane trap to catch and relaease at your neighbors (or mother-in-laws) house you could put a large funnel fashioned out of tin so the mice can't climb up the sides of the pail. Just my 2 cents worth as Maynard would say.

I have used Stans method for years-works every time-,i put a few inches water in the pail just to keep the athletic ones from jumping out,and since the idea was to kill them,and you can use it over and over.

Glue traps are a wonderful thing.. But if you use them, Please check them once a day at least. If you don't have the heart to drop a stick of stove wood on them, then drown them etc. Even a mouse deserves better than to die of thirst ! Want mice gone fast ? Get a strip of bacon and a BB gun.. LOL Be warned, You may think this to be easy but think of the size of a mouse, add movement and 20 feet heheheheh. Its a challange !