Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Plowing problems

Chris727
I just can't get this plow to work right. Its a 10 inch brinly sleeve hitch plow. The grass either wants to fall back into the furrow.

I fiddled with the depth crank adjustment and now it wants to pitch the rolled sod too far to the side and the with of the furrow is only maybe 4-5". I have the plow hitched in the center hole like the instructions said.

The plow bottom is not rusted, and I had removed the coulter because of clogging.

Kent
My suggestions would be: 1. Put the tractor on a flat surface, then jack it up and adjust it... I'd set it up to plow about 8" deep on a 12" plow -- that's about as deep as it'll work well in sod. 2. Put the coulter back on, and adjust it also. (It also must be rust-free)It should be adjusted so that it only cuts two inches or less -- it's supposed to slice the sod in front of the plow, then the plow tracks directly behind it and turns the sod out.

crequake
I concur with Kent. The coulter is important for cutting the sod. Then you may want to try this: 1. drive both left wheels up onto a 6 X 6, or other type of block. This will simulate a right wheels in furrow condition. 2. Adjust the crank so the toe, heel, sole, and land side are flat on the ground. 3. On my Brinly/B110 I moved the plow all the over to the right (used the far left hitch hole). There is an excellent tutorial at http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/index.htm Nels, Gary, and Kevin definetly have it together. Good Luck, Nick

Is there also a plow with a single disc? When they measure a 10" verses a 12", do they measure the disc or the plow?