Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to do with all this land!!

AC808

Here is a pic of the area that will be my better-halfs horse riding arena. It will be approximately 80'x110'. Right now its covered with sod/grass. Im wondering what you all think...how should i go about this? Would you remove the sod with a sod cutter? (Under the sod is a fair amount of sandy loam soil, no clay any where near here.) or just kill it all, or till it all up? Im planning on fencing it in soon. Unfortunately i wont be able to mow this area after it becomes an arena. What would you all do?

Jay I would till the area, then spray it with "Round-up" herbicide to kill the vegitation. Then you will be ready for the sand or woodchips for the surface dressing. Larry kg4zar

If you till it up you will have to contend with the chunks of sod grass. If you plow it up, you'll have ruts. I'd just fence it in and let the horse's hoofs do the work. If the arena will get used a lot, then your problem is solved. Plus in the meantime, you'll still have something to mow until it is throughly packed down.

Folks around here strip off the loam and bring in sand and pack it just as if preping for cement and that provides a good freindly base for the horses. Maint. is just occasional rakeing.

I cant believe that no one has mentioned my huge shed...im sure i can get a ton of tractors in there!

First thing you should do is mark your area off. Then spray it with roundup. You want healthy plants to absorb the roundup so don't do any tillage to it until you have killed it! Read the label on the roundup container to see how long you have to wait for tillage. Once it is dead it will be easier to work with and might get by with disking or cultivating to loosen it up. After that you will see what you have. The soil might be good enough for the arena. If not a few loads of sand or whatever you were thinking of using should be adequate. Don't know how much time and $$$$ you want to spend on the project but this company http://www.rubberificmulch.com/ has a product to mix in to help keep the dust down & doesn't deteriorate. Email them to see what it would cost for the rubber they use in the riding arenas. Yes it looks like a great^ shed for tractors but I was assuming the better half already claimed it;)

If it were mine, I would remove the sod and the good loam underneath. Stock pile the loam if you have to. You will use in in the future. Next I would bring in sand for a riding ring. I just had a 80 X 100 foot area done. The sand that was used will not pack. It is always soft. Infact I tried plowing the area this winter, and once I removed the snow, the sand was still soft. After a while you will need to rake that area smooth. If you follow this plan you will need a johnny bucket, or front end loader, and Dutch's grador blade. So is the horse for pleasure or more excuses for more toys (sorry meant tools) for the tractor? Rick........

I've seen the rubber chips at various playgrounds for children, around the base of swings and seasaws, all it ever needs is leveled out once in a while and the rain takes care of the rest. Mel