Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A "Special Place"

bigcountry

Mama came up to me this afternoon and told me I needed to get rid of all of my junk/bad/parts mowers in the yard beside my little shop. I thought for a while, and I came up with a compromise that I believed would satisfy Ma and Pa as well as myself. I decided I needed to find a "special place" in the woods behind our fence to keep these junkers in case I need to pull some parts. I then took the freebie White, hooked up to the freebie JD #50 dump cart, and I made 3 trips down in the woods, with 2 22" mower decks with no engine, 2 bad engines, and 2 junk push mowers with engines. I found this spot that was open, on a little knoll, so it wouldn't be in the mud, and I lined them up along the back boundary, so to speak, of the area, and its behind a pile of storm debris, which will obscure them from view of the yard. So, now, I am happy, Mama is happy and my father is happy. :D I was just wondering, where (in relation to your house or shop) do you put your junk mowers, tractors, etc.?

I have a 10 x 20 ft shed all three go in..2110 Landlord, 432 Gravely, and a 92 Broadmoor, its gettin tight!

Hum......running/under repair tractors(B-10,Big Ten,3012V,17GTH-L)and misc.smaller parts in the 24x30 pole barn. Parts tractors(maybe 4)over the hill behind the barn. Larry

My old barn (carriage house) has a great storage area underneath. It's out of sight, fairly dry (except for spring seepage), and it's so dark and "spidery" the missus never does an inventory, only looks in the door occasionally.... The challenge is to keep the number small enough to where they aren't out far enough to count easily....:D Right now, I think there's four down there (mostly parts tractors and implements), plus four more up in the barn that can be counted.... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/out_of_woods.jpg[/img]

The junk goes to the scrap metal bin at the dump. The stuff I have in my 30x40 garage or up on the hill in the woods behind my house or in a rented storage shed. There may be a fine line between junk and stuff but with experience you will be able to tell. Good luck on your hiding spot.

quote:
Originally posted by crequake
Junk? I dont have JUNK! I have stuff! ;)
I second that!:D:D:D

1 in top garage=bye, bye wifes car space. 1 in bottom garage=bye extra work space. 2 in shed=nice home for mice under engine shroud 1 165 miles away in dads shed I wonder if NASA's next Mars mission would rent out storage space and deliver to one of those craters on Mars. Might help the Pres. balance his budget.

my tractors and parts i keep out back down at edge of woods they are good conversation pieces my wife talks about them all the time.

My wife gets one side of back yard for her patio, water garden and flower beds and I get the other side where my shop is. She never complains about my stuff, no matter how messy looking.

I have four in my Dad's shed, right now there's 11 behind the house because they got kicked out of the other shed so a concrete floor can be poured. And I've got fifteen more, mostly parts or incomplete out back at a friend's lawn mower shop. So do I have too many?

I refuse to have a mess anywhere on the property. To take junk and put down in the woods somewhere is a blight on the land. Just because it is out of your sight doesnt mean others can't see it. Yours truly Samson.

Between the scrap metal and the acumulating tractors, (4 + the 2 we work) I have a spot behind one of my buildings where I am putting up a privacy fence to keep them out of sight. I just have to remain mindful of not allowing overflow.

My wife is concerned that i will become my mom. My mom has junk everywhere...So, ive been good at not getting too many tractors. Right now theyre in the garage. Ive kept telling her that they will get moved to the 80x44 pole shed as soon as i can get to it. I also have an area behind my barn to keep stuff. Too many hiding places here!

Samson, It must be nice to have ALL the resources to be able to comply with your approach. It is a good one, but not all of us have the ability to approach it that way. Dan

I found a place right out in the open and my parents never see them at all.... Of course they live 900 miles away so it's not that hard. Now hiding them from my wife is a whole other ball game....... lol There are a dozen tractors in this pic of my side yard, three of which are going to Dan's tomorrow. A couple more may also be gone soon.

Maybe the best idea is to take some of the non-runners and help some of the members of the club get their machines finished. That is my plan as I get my tractors running. I don't want to have too many sitting around, waiting to be used.

All of the stuff back there right now is pushmowers and stuff that came off of push mowers. This afternoon or tomorrow I'm planning to cut a path to it, last night it was a little rough getting to it, there's several logs in the way, and a short steep bank that I am going to build up a dirt "ramp" to so it'll be easier to get to it with the White, it got back there ok last night, but I was truly "off-yarding" with it.

This is my poor man's garage. Then again it cost about $3000 to assemble. I see the value as keeping the boat in exellent shape and well I can fit 4 tractors and small garden trailers out of the weather. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/michaelg221/PICT0017_m.JPG[/img]

I hope to mow my neighbors yards for payment i get to use here 2 car gardge all year ronud. She has no car, and i may have to help her clean it out.

Besides, someone has to hide these orange and yellow "Easter eggs" so that we can all get sore necks driving down country roads trying to spot them in the weeds/bushes, in or behind garages or barns, etc. If no one hid them, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun finding them....

I've been also getting a lot of parts here lately. I just throw them in the top of the garage or in the garage. My dads getting mad 'cause i'm running him out of the garage! My aunt has a shed that I need to take from here and put together. I could get a lot of parts in that. Huum......

Samson, Resources = money. Some have to keep their old stuff around for extra parts because we can't afford to go out and buy new parts every time something breaks. Now where do you keep your parts tractors if you can't afford a building?? I am sure, from your "tone of post", that you have the bucks for both buying parts and an appropriate building to store in. Others may not. Dan