Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible new arrival

mbrook

I have a lead on an older Simplicity. The guy I spoke with said its rough but I can have it if I want it. He sent some pics of it. What do you think? He doesn't know anything about it except "its been there awhile". I figure I'll pick it up, even though it is "rough"

Yeah, I guess that is rough:D! Looks like a lot of good parts, and complete except for the hood. Cant beat the price- grab it! You may want to ask if there are any attachments with it also- you may get more free stuff. BTW, I noticed some yellow levers on the side hooked to somthing on the front. What is that for?

Tom, the hood is included just not shown, as for the levers, I was hoping someone hear could help identify them.

Could be a homemade plow blade mount on the front. Sears used levers a lot like that on their implements for the Suburbans.

Pan seat, high steering wheel, fenders, obviously a round hood, Nelson can muffler, can't quite make out the carb, but if a three-screw it would be a 23D for a 9hp Landlord.....

I see a free Simplicity S, starter/gen, least a cast iron block, seat, seat/fender, maybe a rear lift, heck, maybe a real project tractor. Kirk, with the white dash wouldn't it be a 10hp Landlord?

Looks like a super deal to me. Lots of potential. I looked at one in similar condition, it belonged to some wealthy farmer, who buys more new tractors than most dealers can keep on hand, it was sitting in a fence row for years with a tiller and hydrolift. He said sure he'd sell it. I was thinking $50. He told me $250. I offered him $100 but he wouldn't take it. Go figure.

No, this one was in terrible condition. The hydrolifts on ebay for $250 and more are typically in near working condition. I suspect this tractor was underwater completeley in the great flood of '93 it took months for the water to recede after that flood, the tires were practically rotted off of it too. If water was inside the engine and trans/etc, I probly offered too much.

I bet you'll be surprised what good of shape it's in once you get it out of the weeds. A good cleaning will make it look a whole lot better. That's what my 314 looked like sitting in the weeds. Just make sure you get all the mice out of the engine shroud before you take it into the garage (words of experience here). Change all the oils, take off the oil pan and clean out the gunk, air up the tires, clean the carb and it may start. Who knows, After all it is a Simplicity.