Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

plastic gas tank

tanman722001

Hi,I was wondering what is the best way to fix a small hole in a plastic gas tank?Thanks Tony

Tony --I've always had good luck with J B WELD on patching. It works best if you can force some of it into the hole. Some times it might help to make the hole a little larger so as to get more product into the area and be sure to let it cure over night before putting gas back in the tank. Hope this helps.

Can you put in a sheet metal screw with a rubber washer on it? We often did that for metal tanks also.

How big is the hole? I fixed a crack along the seam in my gas tank for the 410. Got a kit from Canadian tire, mixed the expoxy, put a thin layer on, then a peice of fibre glass and another coat, Seems to work, it just dried before i had the whole thing covered.

Tony, If it's a polyethylene or polypropylene tank, then epoxy will not adhere to it. I've successfully used a short 8-32 pan head nylon screw to plug the hole. Drill and tap the hole for 6-32. Then, the interference fit of the 8-32 screw makes a nice tight leak free repair. Tom(PK)

Thanks guys.I went to Napa and got the epoxy.I will see if it will work tomorow.Thanks Tony

I used the automotive gas tank putty from Advance Auto Parts, it worked good, just had to let it cure overnight.