Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pulling tractors

maxtorman1234

Dont know anything about this, but just thought it would be neat to see what I could find out. I was wondering what it would involve to make a pulling tractor, and what i would need. I have a tractor to work with, but what would I have to do to it for it to be a good puller? Just wondern, thanks,

First decide what you want to pull. Stone boat, Transfer sled, stock class or modified. Alot will depend on what is offered in your area, no sense showing up with a modified transfer sled machine if they only pull stock stone boat. I myself think that the stone boat with stock tractors is alot of fun, and I just love to put the hot rods in their place when they try to move a 2500# boat with a 1150# modified tractor. once you decide let us know and it will be esier to help.

hello, here is a link http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/sisters_&_sleds.htm to my daughters and i doing garden tractor pulling. we did it for a few years and my old girls started becoming young ladies instead of "tom boys". this is a "stock class" and we used a "weight transfer sled". we did the old stone boat once and had just as much fun with that too. rob

I have noticed that there are a lot of first generation BGB shorter frame tractors doing pulling. Do they do better than the later longer frame BGB type tractors? In 10 to 14 HP class is the larger engine better or is it all a matter of traction? Bob in Kokomo

I pull a 3410 and have had pretty good success with it. On a transfer sled the additional HP allows you to possibly run a gear higher and that momentum can carry you farther some times. On a stone boat HP is not as important as balance and traction. I noticed in Rob-B's photos that his tractors had no wheelie bars, our rules say you have to have them and I would recomend them strongly. Don't let the size of these tractors fool you they can turn over on their back faster that you can push the clutch.

Thanks, im not too sure what I will be pulling, but it will probably be something like a stone boat. I guess first i'd probably have to find some ag's, and i'd like to find a nice 900 to repaint and use. But I was wonderin, do any specific models seem to pull better? I have a 710, possibly a 416H and a 410S.

Graham, Any of your current tractors would work well. The biggest challenge you will face is how to attach weight to your tractor for balance and to reach the necessary weight for the class you choose to pull in. Before you even start on the tractor, you will need to get a set of rules for the organization you are pulling with. Read them until you know every detail of every rule without looking back at them. Then you will know what you can do and what you can't do. Remember, the rules tell you what you have to do, and what you can't do. Always assume you can do anything not prohibited by the rules. As far as tractors, the longer the wheelbase, the better you can keep the front end down and still maintain traction. After over 15 years of pulling both stock and motorcycle engine tractors, I understand how to set up both.