Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Free 2012

RenegadeJ

A fellow that I hadn't seen in few years called and asked if I would be interested in a Simplicity tractor. Naturally, I said I would be if the price wasn't to high. He said "Come and get and and give it a home." The bolt together mower deck is shot but it came with a nice snow blade, wheel weights and chains, plus an extra transmission. All the mower decks that I have are 48 inch and they will not fit on the 2012 so I am thinking about using a frame from a 3212 so the larger deck will work. Any opinions on this operation?

I looked into something similar when I did my B-12, but decided to keep that tractor original. I'm currently working on stretching an older "B", to accept a 48" deck, but still retain the looks of the B-10 or 12. I have everything planned and measured, but haven't started the actual fabrication yet. I am far enough along that I am reasonably sure I have all the "bugs" worked out. Switching the frame will not stretch the tractor. You need the rear frame plates from the 3212 to accomplish that. An area of the gearbox will be exposed using the 2012 frame and the 3212 frame plates. That's where the 3212 frame would come in. It extends past the gearbox so that area would be covered. You also need the 3212 dash. Drill out the spotwelds to remove the dash tower from the tunnel or shifter cover. Use the 2012 shifter cover as a pattern, and modify the front ONLY, of the 3212 cover, to match the front of the 2012 cover. You will need to drill two holes in the new cover to bolt the dash to. You can simply weld 1/4" nuts to the back side, or drill larger holes and file them square to use original style cage nuts. You will also have to drill holes in the frame to bolt the side covers on. You will need to add 4" to the clutch/brake control rod. You can either use the shifter rod from the 3212 or lengthen the 2012 shift rod by 4". Same with the rear lift rod if you have a rear lift. Pat

Hydro lift and lights, it looks like all it needs is the seat done... You can get a 42" deck no problem, you have the bigger one already so why mess up this beautiful old tractor to duplicate function?

I would look for another 42" mower. They're out there. It's just too nice of an old tractor to rip apart and change frames just to make another mower deck fit!:)

I aggree I got 3 42 inch decks so far B10 B110 Big Ten all have one. Keep looking MDB bought a bolt deck for his B1 they are out there.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Hydro lift and lights, it looks like all it needs is the seat done... You can get a 42" deck no problem, you have the bigger one already so why mess up this beautiful old tractor to duplicate function?
quote:
Originally posted by rs07 [quote] I would look for another 42" mower. They're out there. It's just too nice of an old tractor to rip apart and change frames just to make another mower deck fit!:)
In the case of this tractor, I agree. But it sure is fun to build a "one of a kind" that looks original from a pile of scrap parts. Pat

You got that for free! Thats stealing. Even the rims aren't rusted looking, and a free hydrolift!! Is it in good shape mechanically? I don't think the bolt together deck would have been original to that tractor. Thats the best freebie I've ever seen.

Mighty fine pickup. Think you ought to find a deck to fit that tractor instead of making it fit a deck. Modifing it might even broder on breaking the'give it a home' part of your deal in getting it.

That's an interesting look, with the wide, later-model front tires--I like it. No offense to those with the talent and knowledge, like Pat, to resurrect a custom tractor from the parts bin, but in this case, (as he noted) I believe it would be a shame to carve on such a nice tractor. Personally, I think the 2012's are best looking Simplicities, bar none (and I've got a Wonderboy 700/725, which many seem to favor). I'm sure you'll find a deck--and that's a lot less work, too!

Lon, For heaven's sake don't think about taking the "hot-wrench" or hacksaw to the pretty machine! Restore the seat like Kirk said and you've got a proud show tractor! There've got to be some more bone-yard canidates out there for you to hack on (LOL). Tom(PK)

That sure is a nice looking tractor and the price was right.:D Even has hydraulic lift and lights.;) [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl

Can't beat that deal! Great find! BTW, there is a deck on eBay right now in Ohio thats at $61.00 right now. Heres the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=2392415577&rd=1