Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Studs vs. bolts

Glacier

Has anybody converted their tractor from using the wheel bolts to using studs and lug nuts? If so how did you go about putting the studs in the hub? I would really like to convert mine over to studs. Thanks, Jeff

Jim, that seems like it would be easy to convert. The only question is why? I guess it would be easier to align the wheel with the stud post then put the nuts on. I guess I just do not take my tires off often enough. The supports for the wheels are cast iron. So I would not be banging or pressing on those parts. I think I would thru bolt from the back and leave the extension of the bolt exposed on the other end to recieve the wheel and bolt. Good luck. Frank

Check out the picture of the rear wheel of my 61 Wards in the recent "Rim Width" post. You will notice the chrome acorn lug nuts. I just buy 7/16 fine thread bolts from the hardware store and screw them in from the back side of the hub. You will have to pull the right hub off the diff to insert the studs in it. There is enough clearance for the heads when the hub is reassembled onto the diff. Then buy lug nuts to fit 60s & 70s Chevy cars, Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, etc. These are 7/16 right hand thread lug nuts, available at any speed shop. It is an easy conversion.