Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Proper care of your mower deck?

I am getting ready to pull out my mower decks and I want to start taking better care of them this year. How do you keep your decks clean of grass? Is there a eco-friendly solution to put underneath to keep these clean? Or is a good paint job the solution? I wrongly left grass on one and I am not sure the condition of the others.

Use a putty knife to scrape grass off the underside at the end of each season or if you won't be using the deck for an extended period of time. Keep the top of the deck clear of grass, if you mow tall grass. If you mow dry grass, this isn't a problem, just brush the grass off. Some people put POR-15 on the underside of their decks to rustproof them. The decks, with use, will burnish. Touch up the deck shell at the end of the season. Finally, keep the blades sharp. It really makes a difference-the engine isn't as loaded down, and you will get a better cut.

Here is a question, can you sharpen blades with a bench grinder? Also is there and large chain store who sell's gator blades?

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Here is a question, can you sharpen blades with a bench grinder? Also is there and large chain store who sell's gator blades?
We sharpen our blades with a bench grinder, and they cut good.

Elon, Use an internet search engine to lookup Gator Blades. I got mine from www.jackssmallengines.com. Many, many dealers nationally sell them. Tom(PK)

I spray Pam on deck after I clean my mower. Deck cleans easier and last longer between cleanouts:). If your mower is new enough Simplicity has a mower blade that's call Eliminator blades. I tried a set last summer on my Broadmorr. They take less power to run and cut grass clippings smaller. I can mow more times between cleanouts:). I need new blades for my Landlord this year. My plans are to buy 1 set of each-Eliminator and Gator blades. With 5 yards to mow I should be able to give them a good test.

In the fall I drive over and grind up downed leaves. When dry, they are just the right density to clean out the clumped up grass. In the summer, I position the garden hose to where the mower can suck up a jet of water and, splash it around and blow it out the discharge hole.

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
Why should someone use the Gator blades what do they do thats special?
The gator blades are serated. I'm told that they cut the grass clipping smaller. They also will mulch up leaves. Will any gator blade fit any deck of diferent ages as long as the size is the same?

are gator blade for a 416 a/c. i have a vacuum system mount on a 416 that i use mostly in the fall getting up leaves i have quite a few. mabe the gators would help.

just got through doing all bearings on my sunstar 48" deck and while I had it off the tractor I cleaned it up real good and applied a good thick coat of the spray-in truck bed liner that you see on a lot of truck beds. You can buy it at WAL-MARTS in a aerosol can for around 6 bucks. one can will probably do two decks or you can also get in a gallon can and apply it with a brush or roller. Can't say yet how well it will work but will keep an eye on it and report back at a later date.

quote:
Here is a question, can you sharpen blades with a bench grinder?
I use a 2 inch wide belt sander. For me cutting edge stays sharper. I can get more mows between sharpings.;) Anyone have a different way to sharpen mower blades? When I sharpen blades it's usually 7-10 blades that need sharpen.

I put the blade in a vise and use a 4 1/2 " grinder to sharpen my blades. Has always worked real good for me.