Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quick question

bigcountry

I just got a White 11/36 tractor for free yesterday at the dump, it has a good 11hp Briggs engine (has compression, carb works, no spark), and a good, solid 4 spd. rearend. I think it is a Pre-MTD White. It is very heavy, and when I pulled it off the truck yesterday, it flipped and snapped the steering wheel. I'm getting the tires off of it, the engine, the rearend, and some of the steering parts. I have a White LT-12 (MTD era) with a 7 spd variable drive and I wanted to know if it is possible to drop the 4 spd in the LT-12, the 7 spd is almost gone, it takes forever to get to speed in 7th gear.

Chances are that 7 speed white is just a variable. Have you tried new belts? And they BOTH have to be changed for it to work right.

The LT-12 was a freebie too, one of the pulleys you can see straight through the bearing on it, there is almost no bearing left, and it gets very hot on that pulley, and the belts are in good shape. I was just wondering about the 4 spd unit, because I think it would be an improvement over the 7 spd. The 4 spd unit is extremely heavy and it will need a new top pulley, but I think it will handle what I put it through better. I did have a Wizard with the same 7 spd in it, and I lost a belt in it when it got wet, and I put a new one on it, and the pulleys started grinding, so I pulled the engine out and sold the rest of it.

Its hard to answer because most of us won't know what trannys your speaking of. But from what I have seen. Most of the trannys made for the " department store " type mowers are about the same basic size. Making one mount should not be a real problem. But getting the shifter and the belt and the brakes right may be a good deal harder... Something you may want to try being that you like so well to tinker... Take a look and some of the older small tractors like Power Kings etc and give thought to taking all those parts you have and building your own. A rear end from an old Murrey 4 speed that had an "H" shift and 1st and second on the same line ( I'm thinking 600 Peerless ? ) or the transaxle from a 3 speed cub would be a good one. I have a 3 speed Cub with a good rear end and good steering axle etc you can have if you care to travel 200 miles to get it.. Anyway, Figure out the wheelbase you want, build a frame from heavy channel and start putting on parts. Build what you want.. Just a thought...

I think it is a Peerless, I haven't got it off yet, though. It is a 4 spd. 1 2 3 4 R I'm thinking since they're both Whites, it might work. I can make some "homemade" brake controls and I can modify the clutch linkage to work, the belt systems pretty much look the same except the LT-12 has a "traveller" pulley that is the variable speed control. The old one has just one tensioner pulley between the engine and the rearend. Thanks for the offer on the parts, maybe the next time I'm in your area, I'll drop by.