Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BigOrange

Gas Tank Leak

BigOrange
I've got a big ten and the tank has two pin holes in the bottom of it that leak gas. I would like to have some ideas of what people use to seal a leak. The pinholes are small and seem to have come from the outside where water laid between the bottom of tank and rusted the bottom. Ant=y ideas?

JoeJ
:DBrother John, You are going to get sooooo scolded for this!!!! hehehe I have had very good luck with "marine-tex" grey, from a local boat place. Others use JB weld, and have great successes. And I was reading a post today with a 2 part thingy with a fabric layer, but that may have been for plastic tanks.

Allis_B12
I had that problem a while back. > http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24897 JB Weld has worked for some. A 3/4 full tank of gas worked its way around the steel and ate the paint off parts of my tractor. I used a NAPA gas tank repair kit with epoxy. It has worked for some here. For me, that worked for a few months, but also leaked. Thankfully, there wasn't much gas in it. Finally, I just purchased a used gas tank (in good shape) from Sandy Lake Implement. It was $65, but I thought it was worth it, since I won't have to do any more touching up of the paint from gas damage. If cold weld and epoxy repair kits have worked for some, perhaps the problem is me. Just my 2 cents.