Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Johnny bucket Question

RickS

I just purchased a Johnny Bucket from another member. The bucket is in very good condition.:D I am having a problem with the bucket in the tripped position. As I understand it, with the lift arm in the raised position and the bucket tripped, the cutting edge should clear the gound by 2 inches. With the manual lift in the raised position, and the bucket tripped, the cutting edge of the bucket clears the ground by about 1 inch. I have adjusted the lift arm so that the threads of the arm are just showing through the u shaped bolt (sorry I don't know the correct name for this part.) I think the lift arm is too long. I am assuming that a manual lift raises the bucket the same amount as a hydrolic lift. The tractor has the stock size tires on it. But the tires were just replaced with a set of front and rear AG tires. (Kent, as an aside my tires just clear the pitman arm by about 3/4 of an inch.) The bucket did not come with any manuals. I am assumming the bucket does have a manual, but it is a very simple product. I am hoping some of the other members who have or have had the Johnny Bucket could give me a hand. Rick.........

Rick, mine is 1 3/4" off the ground when tripped, i dont know what i did with my directions.(sorry) Try goin to the j/b web site for the info. Eric

They're designed to only clear the ground an inch or so when tripped, for spreading whatever you've been hauling... If yours came with the same lift rod that mine did, it has adjustable clevises on each end. You may be able to adjust it higher with those, without it hitting the front of the tractor....

The lift arm on my JBJr. has three holes for you to attach the clevis to. The lowest one gives you the greatest leverage for lifting while the upper one gives you the greatest range of motion. You can also adjust the stop bolts on the sides of the bucket so it only tilts so far, limiting how close it will get to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the help. I have adjusted the clevises to make the lift arm as short as posible. Since I have the manual lift, I am using the lowest hole on the lift arm bracket. I need the greatest amount of leverage to lift the bucket. Thanks again for all your help. Rick.........