Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help, mower belt jumps off

mshowar

I have a 3410S Landlord and up until a week ago everything was going just great. While I was mowing with the mower deck all the way down, I rode over a small hill of dirt and bottomed out the mower blade in the dirt. I was going fast enough not to stall the tractor but my mower belt jumped out of the pulleys. I examined the belt and it looked quite worn in one spot but the rest of it looked almost new. The belt had a label on it "NAPA 4L750". My guess is this isn't the original belt. I bought a new NAPA belt exactly the same and installed it in the most logical way I could figuree it went (I don't have a manual for my tractor so I have no diagram to verify its installation). Unfortunately, every time I engage the PTO for the mower deck it jumps off again. For some reason, it looks like the belt is twisting itself from the mower deck pulley into the pulley just before the PTO driver pulley and immediately jumps out. What can I do to get this thing working again? Mark

Get a Simplicity belt. The belt that twists is specially made, and only a Simplicity one will work properly or last long.

Where can I get this Simplicity mower belt for my 3410S. There are no Simplicity dealers anywhere near where I live so I will have to get it through the mail.
quote:
Originally posted by Allis_B12
Get a Simplicity belt. The belt that twists is specially made, and only a Simplicity one will work properly or last long.

Can someone help me verify the part number on this belt? I found a PDF version of my 3410S manual (Mfg# 990756) and the manual for the 42" Rotary Mower (Mfg# 990784) Niether of them identify the part number for this PTO to mower belt. I searched on Google for (990756 PTO Belt} and found multiple references for the 42" Rotary Mower: - Requires 1666801 PTO Belt (2 refs) - Requires 176439 PTO Belt - Requires Kit No. 103260 - Requires Hitch No. 1690082
quote:
Originally posted by Allis_B12

I agree with Allis B12. Only use a Simplicity belts. Even though it probably costs more than that Napa belt, it is money well spent. You will have solved the problem and you'll also have peace of mind. The belt will also last longer than the Napa would have too!;)

My 3410 would always throw the belt after a few minutes of use,even with new Simplicity belts.Turned out that the center arbor had a bad bearing. Since you said it was OK,'til you hit the dirt mound,I would pull the deck off,and make sure nothing was bent,or damaged.Something to think about. Also,make sure it's in the right pulley on the BGB,I'd have to look at mine to tell you which one to use. Good luck!:D

Mowed for the first time with my Landlord 101 yesterday. I have raised the deck back roller wheels to gain more hight. So to keep the deck belt from rubbing the cross bar, i ended up using a 1" smaller belt on the PTO to deck and 1" longer belt than factory on the BGB to PTO. Works great, all NAP belts. I mowed about a hour in some very heavy grass. It was my first ever mowing with a Simpicity and i like the cut but it did not seem to throw the grass out very fast ot very far.

I just came in from mowing with my Yeoman 616. I've got the same problem with it. It cuts great, but it don't seem to throw it far though. Could it be a belt adjustment, or the bearings? It has a fairly new Simplicity belt on it. It only throws it maybe 2 feet or less away, not far at all. I hope someone can help. Thanks, Dave P.

I mowed the front lawn with the 416H with the 42" deck for the first time yesterday. Cuts excellent even with a bad bearing. Drive belt isnt simplicity, but it works great. Im not sure what make it is, but its a tough belt. Mine dosen't throw the grass very far, but like UCD said, it dosent really matter as long as it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...
I just recieved this Simplicity belt from Jacks Small Engine Wharehouse. Installed it and it works fantastic! Thanks everyone for all your advice and help. It is amazing how a belt only a few fractions of an inch shorter makes all the difference. Mark
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
Mark, the correct belt for you should be part no. 176439.