Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quick and easy Paint job

lndscpr

I would like to paint the HB112. I don't care if I match it exact. I want to do it quick and easy. Is there a color in a spray can available at some place like Walmart that will come close? I used the Rustoleum, yellow on my snowplow but seems way too bright for the AC. Dealer down the street has paint for Walker commercial mowers that didn;t look too bad but that is $12/99 a can. I don't have the time to do a major paint job at this time. Maybe in a couple years I will have more time to do it right. thanks, JC

I have used the Allis Orange for a Jacobsen snowblower. Good stuff. I will consider that if a cannot find a good alternative for yellow.

It's not yellow but it is Aliis orange. In the back you can see what it looks like. I use it all the time.

There is a nice HB-112 in the gallery that looks like it was painted Allis Orange. It looks good. I may go that route if I don't see a better alternative. John

Rust-o-leum makes "farm " equipment paint in "A-C" colors, my local hardware store has it,takes a long time to dry and a real long time to cure,but so far its holding up and my old Broadmoor was a mess when i got it,looks pretty good now.$6.00 a can.

John, Not sure if you went on this site for the following info, but go to this page: http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/paint_codes.htm These are the part numbers for your yellow paint: 925105, 925110, 925108 But keep reading on that page and you can have your colors mixed. If you find a good price for the right paint, let me know. I believe in do it once and get it done, life is too short. Good luck.

I used Caterpiller yellow from Walmart on a Cub Cadet a couple years ago. Looked pretty close to my B112. Ken

I used old shade JD construction yellow on my B-112. Looks great, when its the only one in the state I know of.

I agree with Nighteye... use the old caterpillar yellow.. quick an easy.. the color has a little bit more orange color.. but it is very close.... Frank

I will check with the Simplicity dealer nearby to see if he can get the paint. I want to use spray cans. It may be the easiest and best solution. Retailers in my area have not been so good about stocking these types of paints lately. They have yet to restock the supply of AC orange that I depleted last fall. John

I don't know much about paint, but what I can tell you is what I bought yesterday. I had to go to a local paint supply house to get some for the bags and sidecovers on my bike. They took a picture of it, computer analyzed it, mixed it, and it was $127.00 for a quart. The man said anything mixed with red or yellow pigmentation is very expensive. Mine of course needs red. So if you can get something in a spray can I'd say do it. It's not a durable but would work for what I want on a tractor.

I ought to be able to do this all in one post, I had my local hardware store order it for me. Bob R.

What are people using for a rust stop? I remember there was a solution I was using which converted rust to a hard black substance.

Phosphoric acid is the ingredient that turns iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate (black). Extend is one brand I have used to coat rusted items. There are several different brands that will also work. POR (paint over rust) also works.

I tryed cheverolet engine orange on my simplicity 575 and it is not perfect but out of a spray bomb it looks pretty good. It is going for about $4.00 a can from Fleet Farm.Bob

I use a NAPA rust kill product, believe its called extend, I'd go look but my feet are preoccupied and its in the shop

I'm using exrust from kanolabs ( the kroil people ). mixes with water in solution, or use it straight as a paint on. wash is off and theres no film or residue. surface is ready to go after that and it works great! it neutralizes the rust and brings you to bare metal.

I did some paint shopping in my are today. Passed on the rustoleum old caterpillar yellow old the paint store. It seemed a little too orange and at $7 a can I want better results. Found Color Place(brand) Sunlight yellow for 96 cents a can at walmart. I bought a can and will try it on the dozer blade. This is very close to original. I am leery of the quality at that price, Has anyone tried this brand?

|I went to the local farm store after reading all the posts I could find on painting and cream paint. I purchased a rustoleum primer spray can, that says it is good on rusted as well as clean metal or over paint. For the finish coat I got rustoleum almond, high temp. spray paint, part # 7750. I dropped the rear rims off to have sand blasted and hope to have the back in a day or two. I am hoping that this paint will be harder that the regular rustoleum paint. Has any one used the high temp rustoleum paint?

Kokomo, Some high temp paints actually require high heat to cure. I have used paint on exhausts that will wipe off with your finger until you heat it up. Just wanted to caution. Read the can carefully before you purchase it.