Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What am I Missing???

MPH

Fixed the crank on the cultivator the way I guessed it was. Looking at it not work, I understand why, it just screws though the two holders. Were the orginal ones left hand threaded on the top end? Mine was so rusted it wouldn't come out even heated, so I drilled it and retapped it.

After I made a new sleeve hitch attachment it seens to trail good

Marty,that looks just like the one I have.The straight peice of horizontal steel on the rear of mine is 2 foot.The distance between the tips of the rear sweeps is 31 inches. Hope this answers some of your questions from before.

I just took up to sons house like that one. I will have to check it out for you, but its all rusted too!

Marty, Why not drill the threads out of one of the pieces, then double nut both sides so that it will be held fixed in one position but still allow the rod to turn. The threads screwing through the other one will do the adjusting.

yes, one part of the adjuster needs to be reverse threads. This adjust the angle of the rear bar. Also rear needs to be move one set of holes forward. I have seen some of cultivators with a seventh plow in the rear set of holes allowing it to get the center

Thanks Ken for the measurements. Mine sure checks out to be the same as yours, been looking at your picture in smow and tell a lot along with whats in my manual. My tines are 28 tip to tip, guess I could get 31 if I moved the to the edge of the 2 foot tool bar, which would leave a wider gap in the middle. Rod, thats the only answer I came up with. Have to add about a 2 inch piece of pipe so the nut clear the frame. Decided to wait for some other thought before I drilled out my new treads. Thanks for confirming my plan.

Marty, The only difference between the double nut setup and the reverse threaded set-up is the double nut set-up will take twice as many turns as the other to produce the same movement. Only other difference is that it isn't the factory set-up.

Marty, Maybe these two cultivator manuals will help you out: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1241_00_AT_S.pdf http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_3555_00_AT_S.pdf Also, Jay is right, the rear upright needs to be moved one set of holes forward.