Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
iweld

B-hoe + duals: recipe for disaster

iweld
I figured this might happen sometime. Just glad it didn't happen at the tractor show last summer. That would have been a major embarrasement,:o) not to mention a pain to get back on the trailer. I kept the drop housings from the powr max that I parted out last winter for just such an occasion.8D

thedaddycat
From the tone of the post, I'm guessing the weight of the duals being suspended while using the hoe is the primary suspect as the cause of failure. Could it be that you would consider the shifting around from digging to be more likely the root cause? Are you running weights or loaded tires? That would obviously be a factor.

iweld
The outside tires were loaded with calcium chloride and I had another 80# per side in iron between the duals. I think the primary cause of the fatigue and subsequent fracture was simply high load conditions. When you straddle a trench to finish it the load is mostly on the outside wheels until you get the stabilizers down. Of course pawing around digging out fence row and moving railroad ties with the back-hoe as a hoist didn't help either. The axle shaft break was very polished on the outside 3/8", so it has been cracked for quite some time I would guess.

powermax_paul
quote:
Originally posted by iweld
The outside tires were loaded with calcium chloride and I had another 80# per side in iron between the duals. I think the primary cause of the fatigue and subsequent fracture was simply high load conditions. When you straddle a trench to finish it the load is mostly on the outside wheels until you get the stabilizers down. Of course pawing around digging out fence row and moving railroad ties with the back-hoe as a hoist didn't help either. The axle shaft break was very polished on the outside 3/8", so it has been cracked for quite some time I would guess.
Yup, sounds like a fatigue situation. I've worried about my axles with that heavy backhoe also. Don't know what the brantly weighs, but mine runs 780#. That's a lot of weight on the rear axles. With stablizers down, all you have to worry about is weight of wheel/tire assemblies. IMHO, with a backhoe attachment, you don't need any wheel weights or fluid filled tires for traction. Paul