Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

regular 12 volt starter vs. starter generator

Chris727
I'm going to be putting a 16HP briggs on my 7013S and the engine has a normal 12 volt starter on it. I still have the starter-generator setup from the original engine which I could convert it over to. I'm not too worried about originality on this beast. Is either type of starter better than the other? Thanks. Chris

HubbardRA
Why not leave the engine as it is now, and keep the other set-up as a spare, in case you have problems later. I personally like the separate starters, but have had good luck with the starter-generators also.

Roy
If the 16 hp Briggs has an alternator beneath the flywheel I would go with the alternator and separate starter and forget about the starter/generator. I'm with Rod, leave the engine as is and keep the S/G as a spare.

patrician12
By going without the generator you save alot of weight,there is more room and less clutter and the alternator charges better with no moving parts.no bearings,no brushes and no mechanical regulator.

Chris727
I just found that I have to put the generator back on because the engine, required the addition of a dipstick, had to drill a hole in the side of the block to add a dipstick like on my other RBT, this engine originally had the fill on the side of the oil pan like on a FDT, and was too wide to fit within the frame of the 7000 series tractor. Now the new dipstick is in the way of the 12 volt starter. I'll keep it around for spare. I guess the 7000's with briggs w/o generators must have had the dipstick on top rather than on the lower side.

Chris727
I wouldn't do it again, but it turned out okay, I was worried the cast iron would crack in the process of drilling the hole. I would have hated to hack up the tractor to make the old pan fit.