Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Replacing front wheel bearings

Boney

I need to do this on a 725 and was woundering. Is it easier/better to replace the bearings on the front wheels. Or should I just purchase some wheels from someone with the bearings in them already ? I would realy like to replace the bearings to do it properly but do not know what I will be getting myself into. If you have replaced them if you dont mind can you help me with a quick run down on how you did it. I did a search and was not able to find anything. Thnx for any help with this

It is easy. Remove the dust cover and there is a set collar behind that. Remove the set collar then the wheel will come right off. I would probably just replace the bearings and you are set for another 30 years. Also check the bearing race for wear.

Piece of cake to do. Knock the old race out from the back side with a punch, tap the new one in using a piece of iron to hammer on, so your not hammering on the race itself. I took an old race to the grinding wheel and took a little off the outside to use it to 'set' the new one below the wheel hub. Running at 6mph, if the old one clean up ok and aren't too rust pitted, I don't worry about replacing them.