Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

If it all goes well...

SimpleMan

I plan to pick up a second tractor this week, a 610 Allis Chalmers. Tractor is in good shape, and is still very useable. It has a 42" mower deck. The original 10horse Briggs has been replaced by an 11.5horse I/C Briggs. Saw it at a local dealer. Thought it would make a nice little partner to my 98 Sovereign that I currently own. Plus this way I can share my fun with my son.:D Also, doing some BGB maintainence on my Sovereign. Had some excess play in output shaft as related to the input shaft. The keyway had worn slightly on the input shaft. I figure that fixing it now would save me more grief in the long run. Am having the input shaft, and bearings, the keys replaced, including all of the seals. Lucky for me the gears and output shaft and bearings were still intact. I was a little surprised that this needed to be done on a tractor only 6 years old, but maybe a lot of them are like this, but most people wait until thing get really bad. Gord

The keyway on my 3012 is shot too. Not sure why it happens, but when I fix it, it will be the second time this was done.

Place a few drops of Thread lock on the shaft as you place the drive onto it. This will take up the slack in between the shaft and drive so it will be less likely to vibrate loose. Another thing is too replace the setsrew with one that has the knurled end. It bights better and is less likely to loosen.