Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Little Brothers New Toy

rokon2813

My younger brother decided he wanted a toy to play with this summer. A friend of his gave him this to take home and play with.

Mid 60's cub cadet, with 750 cc yamaha 3 cylinder. Complete with 5 speed on the engine and 3 speed still on the rear end. Runs pretty good but we need to re-gear it. ;);) Did a little early "tilling" in the garden with it to try it out.

It was actually built as a work tractor. There was a small crane that slid over the pipe on the back, and has a snowplow for it that is operated by the electric cylinders off a convertible car top. The way it is currently geared, it doesnt go much faster than a standard lawn tractor.:( Gotta mount a different gas tank and build a hood for it. With the current tank, it goes thru a full tank of gas in a half hour or so. He is going to try pulling with it this summer but its intent is still a work tractor. Its gonna plow snow and drag the campers and boats around the yard. :D:D

Dan, He'll cook the engine if he uses it as a work tractor. The only cooling air for that engine came from the bike cruising down the highway. When you are pulling, it is wide open for about 15 seconds then park and cool down. Working is another story.

Rod, they been using it as a work tractor for over a year. It has electric cooling fan in the grill. The guy that built it is a motorcycle mechanic and raced bikes for years professionally. It still runs pretty hot, but he seems to have it under control with the fan.

I imagine a little bit of shroiuding will go a long way towards directing the air flow where you need it.......

I've had my pulling tractors so hot that the oil was boiling. I've refused to come back in pull-offs a couple of times because the engine was too hot. I've seen several people blow engines by overheating them. 95 degree air and WOT for 15-20 seconds will put a lot of heat in them. Just wanted to mention this fact.

quote:
Originally posted by wantedinct
Now thats got fun writen all over it ! how about some more pic's of it ?
Boy I'll second that! What a load of fun that would be.

A guy that owns something like that should take the big electric fan out of his plow truck and put on it. :D Thats what I would do Thanks for posting that pic bro:p

Being a guy who spent several years of tractor pulling running homemade tractors with motorcycle engines, I know you are gonna have a ball with that machine. Have fun, just don't get stupid with it like I did a couple of times. Luckily only the tractor got broken and not me. Welcome to the club!

;)Dan, :DWhat's he wanna swap for it!!!!:D It needs headers. But other than that it's way cool. [V]Guess this puts the Ford/Ford farther back on the list.[V]

quote:
Originally posted by JoeJ
;)Dan, :DWhat's he wanna swap for it!!!!:D It needs headers. But other than that it's way cool. [V]Guess this puts the Ford/Ford farther back on the list.[V]
I'm a new member here and I dont know if dan has checked this post, but it has a very strange custom made header that I built, and I dont really know if I would let it go.;)

Howdy, The 2 fords for the other project came from me. Wish you guys could get that one on track. You get your gearing right, you'll have a barrel of sport with this one 2.

I think the gearing is actually ok, Its got TONS of power, it just needs traction to match. If I do change the gearing its just a matter of getting a sprocket welded up, It's chain drive from the engine to the tractor's driveshaft.

Joe, the Ford project should start going together soon. We're hoping to set the parts together this weekend to do some measuring and cutting.