Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Interest in 75th Anniversary Sovereign

DaveM

I have an opportunity to purchase one of these tractors from a dealer. It comes with a 48" deck and has been used by the dealer for mowing his grass twice and has been driven in a couple of parades. He has had it 6 years and planned on keeping it as a collection piece. However, he recently decided to sell it because it was taking up space. If I were to purchase this tractor, it would be merely to make a small profit (I'd love to have it, but my wife would kill me if I spent this kind of money on another tractor). My question is, how many people would be interested in purchasing the tractor from me for around $4500? This would allow me a small profit after taxes and hauling the tractor home. DaveM

I am just curious about the specs on this tractor. I was watching two eBay listings (I only kept one): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=2391940693&rd=1 They didn't get $4000 for that one. I think you might find this a hard sell. I would not take the risk. BTW: Anyone shopping for old rototillers, two went for less than $75 in eBay recently. So don't over spend.

Here's the other link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=2393157817&rd=1 No bids on that one either.

Be hard to get that kind of money for it unless you can offer the same 2 year warranty the dealer can.....Maybe the warranty is transferable???

I agree with the others...I doubt you would get that out of it very fast...If I was to do a deal like that I would want a good price for a quick turn around... I also agree about the tillers...I have seen alot of them in the last year on ebay go for less than $100 and a couple of those came with the drive pto ect...

If the 75th Anniversary model has the Kohler TH OHC engine I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. My thought based upon experience.

I've come to the conclusion the only reason to buy one of these beauties is to enjoy looking at it and maybe july 4th parades. Seems to be quite a few dealers stuck with them. 30 years from now they may be considered collector items.

Thanks for the info, guys! I think my neighbor is going to purchase this machine. He's been wanting one for about 3 years, and the price is much lower than the $5500 they wanted then. Like stated above, he really only wants it as a collector's item. DaveM

I agree with Roy. If that tractor has the Kohler TH OHC engine in it, which I tend to think it does, I too wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I love Kohler engines, but that is one engine that is surely a piece of junk. They have a reputation for oil leaks.:(

What is this 75 Anniversary tractor? Is it a 2000 Soveriegn or is it a remake of the older models? When I look at this tractor it looks more like the older 3012 Sovereigns and has the similar lift. Will they have part numbers for these machines?

Hey sorry, I am going answer half of my own question. I went to the history site and determined this tractor was offered in 1997.

I have had a lot of problems with my 1999 Agco918 that i bought new 5 yrs ago but after i got a dealer that would work with me on the problems that i complained about it runs great and i havent had any more problems with it.It leaks a little oil around the valve cover gaskets but i will have my dealer fix it and a few other problems in the future when i fill it is time for them to be fixed.Since Simplicity and Kohler have my problems on record i am not worried about them to much.My dealer whom i have alot of respect for always makes it right for me.Do what you want but i would buy it for $4500.00 if i had the money but then again if i find a 720 Allis chalmers for a good price my Agco918 will have a big brother.