Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck question

MPH

The 42 inch deck I use on the B-112 is the cross drive belt version, likely off the B-10 I got parts of. Decided to actually check it over this year instead of mount and go like I have the past two years. Well, on the outter two arbor houseings there are pipe plugs, the center does not have one. Is there suppose to be oil in these? I don't see any seals in the service manual and the only thing it says about lubin' is to grease the bearings before installing. If the plugs aren't for pouring lub in, what is thier purpose?

I have a 32" mower that has grease fittings on all three arbors. Not sure if this mower actually goes with the 728 Broadmoor or not but when I tore it down to look at the bearings there were sealed bearings in it so who knows what you might run into on these old machines if you arn't the original owner.

Some of the older arbor housings had places to install grease zerks in them, even though they used sealed bearings. The zerks are so you can add 4 or 5 pumps of grease a year to prevent rust from forming inside the housing. The grease DOES NOT grease the bearings themselves...

Item# S Part# 726001 shows on all 3 arbors and sure looks like it was for grease fittings Your center might have been replaced. Drill it, tap it, install zerks. I don't think grease would hurt it.

Thanks Kent, guess I'll mow with piece of mind. That's just a little better picture then the one in my service manual Maynard. Since I'm about six weeks early having the deck on maybe I'll pull it back off and make me one of those fancy spring tigheners like I robbed off the 3314 to use on the Landlord. It sure is sweet compared to a crowbar. Thanks for the help