Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Bearings

TimE

1992 Broadmoor 38" deck. The bearings on the mower deck, left side were real noisy. I bought the new assembly, shaft and 2 bearings at my local dealer. Installed them this morning. Everything went fine until I tightened the bolt for the mower blade. The arbor got real tight. I could hardly spin it. Loosening the bolt frees up the arbor. Keeping the blade tight but loosening the pulley bolt also works. Nothing appears bent and it went together fine. Tried to torque to 60 ft lbs. but it binds up before that. Any suggestions? Thanks Tim

Sounds like you ned a shim between the blade mount and the bearing so you have the proper preload on the shaft as you tighten the blade up.

I just put bearings in my 42" deck yesterday. Did you seat the bearings into the arbor housing correctly? I tapped mine into place before installing the arbor. The blade tightening could be forcing the bearing into the arbor incorrectly, causing the "drag." I'm no expert, just a thought. Good luck! Dave

On my 42" deck the tube assembly had a steel tube spacer about 2 5/8" long that maintained a set distance between the bearings. I have rebuilt about 6-7 tube assemblys and have seen some that the spacer was worn so it made the distance between the bearings shorter and that could cause the bearings to bind. Just a thought. Good luck John H

I will check the bearings to see what I can find. This shaft has a shoulder that the bearing sits against. Maybe they cocked like Cityboy suggested. Thanks Tim

Tim, Even tho the Parts Listing did not show it, when I rebuilt a 42 Inch deck, there were "shims" that were between the shoulder of the arbor housing and the upper bearing, this was in addition to the steel tube spacer. Perhaps someone else can verify that your mower deck uses these "shims" also. Now that I think about it...what is the P/N for these "shims" ?