Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar question

TimJr

Hello all. Does anyone have a pic available of their sickle bar - particularly the lift cable and the bracket for the pulley that the lift cable runs through? I have two of the brackets, but don't know which is which. The tractors are not right by me. One has the welded piece for the pulley located in the middle lengthwise, and parallel to the edges. The other has the welded piece I would say slightly to the back, and at quite an angle. The old ones should be p/n 101112, and the one for say a 7016 should be 172126. I don't have a lift cable either, but have a couple of unidentified cables laying around. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Part# 101112 is listed for all of the sickle bar mowers Part# 172126 is a listed part but my info doesn't show any further info. or what it is for. Here is a diagram of Part# 101112 and its applications

Thanks guys. UCD - I have learned to never fully trust PartSmart. Check the microfiche for the two latest model sickle bars - it shows the second part number bracket in a separate frame from the sickle group. In PartSmart, check out a 707 Bmoor, and it will also show you the drivetrain and hood for the later tractors like a 728. It will also show you a Simplicity tractor if you punch in a B112 AC. Not the same as you know. I guess that the people entering the info have no idea what a garden tractor even is, let alone the differences between a B112 and a 3112. Oh well. Thanks again, Tim

Tim, The proper OEM pulley bracket and length cable must match the proper sickle mower for any given tractor to operate as designed. Problems occur when components are mixed. I had that problem. None of my OEM components worked satisfactorily. I solved my problem by installing a cable and then fabricating and locating a pulley bracket to give a full range of travel. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/pulley-cable.jpg[/img]

In all of the manuals for the sickle bars (that I have and are available on line) The part# 101112 is listed except for the MFG# 1690030 which shows part# 1652856 This number does not show up in partsmart but is listed there as 101112. As far as the B-112 and 3112 the only difference is the hood. The other replacement parts are the same. I don't have the micro-fiche. I am not saying the info is 100% accurate as I have found many errors in Simplicity's info in both the manuals and the partsmart. The info I have is only as accurate as the Simplicity info. If people do not like my answers they can take their time to research it them self's. The info is available to them in the same places I get it.

I for one most of the time wait for an answer from UCD if I am needing a part number or belt size that I can not find. Anytime I have needed the info he usually has it on here posted within half a day if not within the hour. I appreciate all the research you do Maynard, just wish I had all the resources you have.

Ditto the above post. Thanks Maynard I have been using you P/N's to get thing straight. John H PS the pictures help also. PSS thanks to the others for pictures also.

I don't want to sound like I am arguing, but there are many significant differences between a B Allis and its Simplicity counterpart aside from the hood, the grille, seat, steering wheel, decals etc.. I was just saying that PartSmart is not complete and does not acknowledge the differences. Someone using it for reference on the old tractors would be seriously misled in terms of interchangeability if they did not have first hand experience with both machines. The part 1652856 - where did you find that - no good in PartSmart or any price list I grabbed. The microfiche is where I found the 172126 for the last two sickle bars for the RBT's. I did not dig out my paper manual though. Dutch - what was interfering with the original bracket - did it not allow full lift without the cable rubbing something? One of my used brackets has a pretty good scuff mark on it that maybe the cabe gouged into it. Wish I had a digital camera to show it. Thanks,Tim

Tim I get my info from Simplicity and Allis Chalmers manuals (I have all of the tractor related manuals loaded in my computer, over 700) and the latest issue of PartSmart. What issue of PartSmart are you getting your info from? The latest issue is much improved. The info I posted for the part numbers are from the latest PartSmart. Granted the sheet metal parts between Simplicity and Allis Chalmers older tractors are not directly interchangeable The parts we are talking about are mechanical parts and in 99% of applications are interchangeable, same part different part number. All of these parts were supplied by Simplicity except for the 300/400 series and a lot of those parts will interchange. While we are on the subject what do you consider major significant differences between Allis Chalmers B series and its Simplicity counterparts 700/725/landlord/2000/3000 series aside from the hood, grille, seat, steering wheel, decals etc, excluding the 3300/3400 Simplicity which do not have a direct cousins in Allis Chalmers which was when Allis Chalmers was independently producing the 300/400 series?

UCD - Those are the major differences. Those are items that some people are not aware of. There was a question in this forum yesterday about interchangeability of the hood on a B10. That is the same as a Landlord (I believe), but according to PartSmart, a B110 has the same hood as say a 3112. Not even close. I hate that. I have the newest (as far as I know) edition here at work also. Check out the old Broadmoors - like a 990375. The first pic to come up is for decals for a 728 style Broadmoor. Also shows the wrong wiring. 707's don't have a neutral switch. Pardon me if you or a friend works for PartSmart, but they are way off. They never do anything about our complaints on items like that. Their response is that it is what they got from Simplicity. Whatever - prove it. I have never found a Simplicity microfiche or paper parts book to be mixed up between two models. Some do contain part number errors, granted, but newer versions were usually corrected. Some microfiche are even revised with handwriting on a newer version. Maybe I am out of line here, but how hard can it be to copy an old book or microfiche into a computer and not mix up the pages or models being transferred? I am glad there are people out there like us that know a lot about these machines, and have reference material for what we don't know. Lots of people don't have either, and being misinformed by information you pay for (Partsmart) isn't fair. Just my big opinion. Tim

Tim All I can say is that the Dealers should be complaining to Simplicity about the info they are giving PartSmart. The Dealers are the ones paying for this information. I am not a dealer nor do I run a repair shop. I just know where and how to get the info I want or need. I only use PartSmart to lookup availability of parts, those that are nla and to get suppression numbers. When looking up other info and to Post diagrams I use my parts and operators manuals. (I have over 700 manuals in my PC) It is much easier to post info and diagrams from the manuals than PartSmart. The bottom line is if people don't like the information I am posting all they have to do is say-so and I will stop, or they can disregard that info entirely, that is their choice.

Hum... How do you help Simplicity so that they don't loose to Home Depot, the Tractor Supply Company, and Lowes? Who are pushing brands which are not Simplicity. As for UCD/Maynard's help. In my opinion he's a great help and member to this club like everyone else who is contributing.

I hope you have a good regularly backed up hard drive, Maynard. For your own sake if not ours. I know it would be a terrible loss to you and US if you did lose it.

UCD - I think you are taking this way too personally. I never intended it to have that result. I will stand by my opinion of PartSmart not being totally trustworthy, and the fact that they and Simplicity blame each other for the faults in the information. I agree that dealers should complain, but most only complain to other dealers, and not to the people that should make the changes. Simplicity needs to do better with their advertising. Look at Deere - everyone knows what a JD is. The name Simplicity doesn't carry much weight in many parts of the country. I cringe when I hear people ask "who makes Simplicity?". It's also too easy to be a Simplicity dealer - some places only have one tractor and a couple of belts around. That does not make for a dealer. It requires inventory and knowledge which comes from experience, or training if you are new. That can make for a bad purchase experience. UCD can run circles around some of the Simplicity dealers I have been to in terms of his research ability and his practical knowledge - I never doubted him, just one of his sources in one specific application. Hope this clears stuff up, Tim.