Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LA john Deere/Nissan LOL

Salthart

As I have said before, I own an old JD model LA thats in pretty sad shape. It has an old 2 cylinder Hercules engine and it needs the bottom end rebuild. Trouble is, Pouring babbet bearings seems to be a dead art around here. I may attempt it my self someday but for now ? Heheheh I have a 2.4 nissan engine and 5 speed tranny and I'm thinking what the heck ? The Herc engine has a bolt-on, belt driven goverener that should not be a big job to adapt ( like the 115 HP nissan would need it ) And the 5 speed linked directly to the 3 speed transaxle would give gearing enough to pull ugly off an ape ! There is also power steering that I think I can adapt and room to add hydrolics if I should like. ( all parts from the same wrecked truck ) The Deere was built sometime in the late 30's and for a long time I felt I shouldn't do anything other than restore it. But I have seen these tractors Restored selling for 2500 bucks so its not like there is a demand for them. I guess having no hydro makes em more work than they are worth to most. And add to that the fact that this tractor is rough.. Just wondered what your thoughts might be. I don't have the money to restore the thing and doubt I ever will. Would it be better off setting or in use ? And BTW, I think I can make all these mods and not alter anything that would keep me from a later restoration..

Now youve got me thinking...Although i JUST sold a VW Turbo diesel motor...i have access to another one (nonturbo) putting one of these on an old tractor might jsut be fun!

Your lucky with the VW diesels.. They are hard to find around here. And if I could, It would be a Diesel going on this thing. I did buy a Lambardini out of a 7790 with plans to direct drive a self contained hydrostat from the engine and on to the transaxle from it But my uncle owns a 7790 and I let him have the engine. My second choice was a 2 cylinder Volvo and I had a chance at a 13 HP but didn't feel it was quite enough ( This tractor is way heavy ) so I waited in hopes of getting one in the 20-30 Hp range but it never happened.. Anyway. I have the Nissan and all the goodys to go with so I guess I'll give it a try..Don't have a camera as yet but like the idea. I'll keep you posted

I think it'd be better to make a "sleeper" puller tractor, using a large frame tractor like a Powermax or something. You could put enough shrouds around it to make it look stock. You probably would take a lot of IH's and Massey's by surprise.

Ya Marty they're getting expensive to restore. Just sold a '49 JD-A, original, good sheet metal, ran fine. Very expensive to restore.

Marty: I am kind of embarrassed by the numerous times I have not maintained or kept an old article or piece of equipment including cars and tractors and instead have altered or abused them. I sure could kick myself now. It doesn't seem to be a popular position here but I would suggest trying to preserve the LA as best you can until you or someone can restore it. Babbitt pouring is available in many locations and there are a number of people advertising their service in publications such as Gas Engine Magazine. It's is your tractor though and I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Never thought I would, But yes. I'd sell the tractor . Doubt you'd much want it if you saw it though. I bought 2 parts for it. One came from Texas and the other from Ill. One of the places was Bob logans tractor salvage and I paid 400+ bucks for the magneto and another 200 for the carb. Rough as it looks, I don't know that anyone would pay that but thats what i have in it. I guess I could part it out but thats something I really hate to do...(

I know a guy in the next town who has 3 LA's all restored, he might be interested in it. Let me know if you want me to track him down to give him your info.

Oh, JJ, I'm sorry. Just hoticed that i didn't answer your question. Didn't mean to be rude friend. I'm just scatter brained..The truck is an 83 or 84 2 wheel drive that belonged to my (Step)father-in-law. Though I have a couple of spare engines for my 83 4x4 and even though there is only 10,000 or so miles on the engine thats in it now, I really can't bare to part with it. LOL 2 years running in an 84 nissan 4x4 I had, I blew head gaskets opening week of deer season. I can change an engine much faster than I can get the head shaved so I keep spares..

Bigcountry, If you have time, please do put me in touch with this man.. Could be that we can make a trade of some kind. I just want a working tractor. ( Though I can't think of many with open drive trains ) But I would rather trade for something I can make work than butcher a machine that someone values. Thanks bud.....

thank marty i've got a 84 4x4 did have 85 2wheel drive i took the motor out of the 85 and put it in the 84.also took all the a/c off and put it on 84. rust had taken over the 85.i recognize 2.4 engine as being a Z24. i was thinking about having a extra engine around.parts for this are getting hard to find.junk yard are crush out everythink old.