Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question for Engine Experts!

HubbardRA

Could anyone tell me what material the crankshafts for Kohler K301 engines are made from. Are they Cast Iron, Cast Steel, Forged Steel or something else. I need to do some welding to the counterweights and need to know what rod I should use. Is nickel rod suitable for welding to all of the alloys? I am going to re-balance a 12Hp crank to be used in a bored 14 Hp engine and don't want a failure because of a faulty weld when I add the needed weight.

I just happened to be reading a Kohler book and it says cylinders, crank shaft, and cam shaft are made of precsion cast iron. Hope this helps

Maynard, Problem is that I have a 12 Hp crankshaft that I want to put in a 14 Hp engine. 12,14,16 engines use same crank, just different amounts of weight removed. With the lighter 12 Hp piston, they machine material off the counterweights at the factory to balance them. The smaller the weight of the piston, the more weight they remove. To use this 12 Hp crank with a heavier 14 Hp piston, weight needs to be added to the counterbalance. I have a way to determine how much. I've known of people using this combination as it is, but I want my engine to be as smooth as possible. I am willing to take the risk of modifying the balance weights. Roger, Thanks! I thought they used cast cranks and cams.

The crankshafts on these engines are made of cast iron. With these and the cast iron blocks, these engines weigh a "ton"!!:D

Some engine shops bore holes in the counterweights and press in slugs of mallory metal, a metal much heavier than steel.

Jim, I'm looking for a way to do the job in my garage. I just like trying things myself. That is the fun of it. If I needed the engine for my only tractor, I would just buy the right crank. I have the 14 Hp engine block and piston, and I have 12 Hp engine with a good crank, valves and cam, but a scored cylinder. Thought I'd make one from the two partials.

quote:
UCD Posted - 04/13/2004 : 11:15:30 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rod Wouldn't be easier to drill the heavier counterweights to bal. it?
That's how it's done at the factory I had worked in the stockroom at. They do the finish work on the viper steel #70 and the truck cast v-10 #55. Heavy metal was shipped in 5 gal plastic buckets filled with styrofoam chunks and a small box 8" x 8" square. 68# in one small box. Add the wheight of the bucket and the foam and the cardboard the package was over the #70 limit for ups we paid a overwheight charge for shipping. They used a rotory balancer to check them and a mig welder to add the slugs. Wheight was added to counterwheight near 180 degrees from the pin.
quote:
mallory metal
Is a brand name.

Jon, I don't really need Mallory metal. The only weight difference that I need to make up is the difference between a 12 Hp aluminum piston and rings and a 14 Hp +.020 aluminum piston and rings. It is not really a whole lot of weight.

Rod, I don't know if you've seen this info/link before, but the Mallory metal in the counter bore holes, then sealed with a high nickel content welding rod might be the ticket. I thought the K-series cranks were made of cast steel as opposed to cast iron. http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/balance.htm Tom(PK)

Thanks Tom, I hadn't seen this one, but have read other similar articles. My only question, originally was asking "what material the crank was made of?". I thought it would be cast steel, but it seems that everything else indicates cast iron. I am thinking about making screw in inserts, staking them in place, and then welding. That way there is no way they will come out. I was going to use threaded steel cylinders filled with lead and capped. If I can find a reasonably priced 14 Hp crank, then I will forget the whole idea. I've already sunk over $200 into a block and piston. I just didn't want to sink too much more into a spare engine. This is a Cub Cadet engine and it takes some work to put one of them on a Simplicity or AC. Had a 12 Hp Cadet engine on my 61 Wards for a while, but now it has a 14 Hp flat bottom type. Thanks for the info.