Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
samson

20hp kohler charging sys.

samson
My neighbor will sell me a Bolens 20hp model m5020h. The problem is it doesn't charge the batt. The engin is a Magnum twin cyl. How this thing charges is mystery to me. There is a component called a voltage sensor on it, a solenoid, a interlock switch, I have the wiring dia. The last work done on it was to replace magnets on fly wheel and replace soleniod. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Every thing on it works electricaly, like lifting the deck etc. Thanks Samson

maxtorman1234
Its not very difficult, two wires come from the voltage regulator and then one goes from it to the ignition switch. I'd check the regulator, most likely thing to go wrong,

comet66
Remove connector from rectifier-regulator. With engine running at 3600 RPM AC voltage across stator leads should be at least 28 volts, it could be higher. If less, the stator is faulty, and the rectifier-regulator should be replaced. To test stator. With engine stopped the resistance across the stator leads should be .064/0.2 ohms. If resistance is infinity stator is open and should be replaced. With engine still stopped, measure resistance between stator leads and ground. If no continuity, stator is not shorted to ground. If any resistance is measured, then stator is shorted to ground and should be replaced. I refered to the Kohler service manual for the M20 engine to make sure I refreshed my memory before offering this. This is their recomended proceedure for testing the charging system. The regulator should be, a black box that is cast in apoxy with 3 leads. The 15 amp system has three stabon connectors on one side and the 25 amp system has 3 leads coming out of one side with stab on connectors on the end of them. Hope this helps.

samson
THANKYOU, Thankyou,, John and Bob {blt} I now have enough data to go into bus.iness, IF! I can under stand it all. Going to go at it tomorrow as its freezing cold down here in NC. Thanks again Roger