Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Another tire question - this time tubes

Brent_Baumer
Saw a set of 25x8x12 fairly aggressive tread ATV tires at Wally worlds today and decided they would fit on a set of rims I have that had 23x8.50x12 turfs on them. Plan on using them on the main mowing machine since turfs spin-out on the hill while towing the trail mower.

Got'em home and mounted but cannot get the bead set. Tried all the tricks I know short of the ether and KABOOM method. I have 3 young kids and a wife that I think like me and my paycheck so I am not going that route. Question - will any 12" tube work? This is an oddball tire size for a garden tractor and don't want to spend money experimenting on tubes until I get it right. Brent BTW - these are Titan 489's Made in the USA if anyone is interested.

Mel_W
Take a 12 inch tube and pump it up till it's fully inflated to it's normal size that it would be inside the tire. Have some soapy water in a bucket. Set the rim on a block in the center so the tire is an inch or so off the ground valve up.This will allow one side to be against the rim. Put the wet soapy tube on top of the tire and against the rim. Push down firmly with even pressure all around the tube. (I use a concrete block on a piece of plywood that has a hole cut at the valve location ) with the wet tube in place install the air chuck and as the tire gets to the rim it will push the inner tube off as the bead seals. Mel

PatRarick
A 23 X 8.50 X 12 tube will work fine. As to seating the bead, I have had luck "manually" seating one bead first. Lubricate the bead with soapy water. Using a rubber mallet, pound on the rim, working your way around it a little at a time until it is tight enough on the bead that you can push the rim against the other bead to seal until the beads seat. On real stubborn tires, I use a piece of 1/2" plywood, 2" wide and about 12" to 14" long. Lubricate the bead with soapy water and working from the inside of the tire, work your way around bead with a hammer, using the plywood as a punch. Depending on the flexibilty of the tire, sometimes it works better with only one bead in the rim, and others with both beads in the rim. You don't have to completely seat the bead, it just needs to hold the rim solid enough that you can push the rim into the opposite bead when airing it up. I like to seat the bead opposite the valve. I use a chuck that locks onto the valve stem so I have both hands free when putting the air in. It helps to lay the tire across a couple of 2X4's standing on edge so you can push the rim against the bead to seal until the bead seats. Remember to remove the valve core when seating the beads. The valve core restricts the air flow. The air can escape from smaller bead leaks faster than the core will allow the air to flow in. Pat

sandyhillbill
you might also try using a strap with the ratchet type binder like you secure a load with around the tire. This will push the tire against the rim better. You can also remove the valve core to get a greater volumn of air into the tire. Good luck.

HubbardRA
Put in a set of 23x8.50x12 tubes and forget it. They will definitely stretch that far. I used a set 23x10.50x12 tubes in 26x12x12 tires for years with no problems.

Brent_Baumer
Thanks to all for the tips. I have tried most of them already. Went to Orschelns today after work to buy tubes. They had every size you can think of from $5 to $13 - except for the 23x8.50-10.50x12. (they were out). Went to the dealer. They had 2 on the shelf. Great. $23 each. Ouch. I told them I was going to work harder on setting the bead.

vfd702
We out new radials on our JD 4020 this winter. Could not get them to seal. Bought some tire sealing grease. We put it on with gloves. It is SUPER YUCKY !! They popped right on the bead. Absolutley amazed. Worked super. ken

HubbardRA
Brent, You have more patience than I do. I would have used starting fluid by now. I also have a wife and kids but have used the starting fluid trick several times when nothing else would work.

Brent_Baumer
Never had the guts to try the starting fluid. Bought a set of tubes and installed them. Still suffered a partially detached thumbnail though while shoving the tube down inside the tire. Ouch. Thought I was going the safe route. Oh well, the job is done. The tires look OK. Hope they don't damage the yard. Find out soon. Brent