Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone put one of these in their 7117

Leroy

If the 17 is good, it'll beat any single cylinder engine. People say the break rods and stuff, but we got our 917 in 87 and never had a problem yet.

Graham I am one of those people. I paid 1200.00 for mine from a Kubota dealer who had a long service record for it. I got two years of mowing out of it on a half acre. It cut like a charm and the ground is difficult to walk accross so un even and rutty so the tractor is the best way to mow it. Now i buy a new unit or fix this one. Will the 16 Horse cast iron rock solid reputaion of this briggs work in my unit?

Looks like you got it off a Yazoo. You can make anything work. I don't know if the crankshaft center lines are the same. My gut feeling is no. The opposed engine will stand taller by a half inch or so which means you would have to build up the mounts a bit for your drive shaft and then the drive shaft might have to change on the engine end. If that came off a Yazoo, it will probaby have only a 3 Amp charge circuit and maybe nothing for headlights. As far as operation goes, you will hardly notice the loss of one horsepower.

Leroy, IMO that 16 HP Briggs will do everything the 17 HP Kohler did as well if not better on less fuel and with less trouble... Club member VFD702 has a 7117 that he put a 16HP Briggs in and he is getting along with it just fine.

Nope i am eyeballing it on ebay. Briggs 16hp model # 326437-0257-01 Series # 7811201 To connect using small base plate for lift. and a lovejoy connection to the drive shaft maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by MDB
Leroy, IMO that 16 HP Briggs will do everything the 17 HP Kohler did as well if not better on less fuel and with less trouble... Club member VFD702 has a 7117 that he put a 16HP Briggs in and he is getting along with it just fine.
Thanks Mike I have a few days to get all the negatives before the bidding is over. I have not heard a bad thing about the 16 horse cast iron briggs.

Leroy I have a 17GTH-L that I love, but the Briggs 16 is what will go into it when the twinK quits. That big Briggs single will work circles around the 17twin. IMHO a big single cast iron 16 is more like a 20hp in todays rating system. Good luck! Larry kg4zar

It's pretty much a "bolt in" job. You won't need a base plate. The original driveshaft should bolt right up to the booster fan of this engine. Not sure about the driveshaft length. You may have to use spacers or shorten the driveshaft. The ignition switch and wiring will have to be changed to accomodate the magneto ignition. Pat

Leroy, I am in your camp. I just got this at an auction last Monday for $60.00. With it came a two wheel cart and a pressure washer. Now I need a tractor to put it in.:D:D

Bob what hp is your engine? Maybe I can talk you into sending it down my way since I have a B-10 frame or two missing the powerplant! Larry kg4zar

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
It's pretty much a "bolt in" job. You won't need a base plate. The original driveshaft should bolt right up to the booster fan of this engine. Not sure about the driveshaft length. You may have to use spacers or shorten the driveshaft. The ignition switch and wiring will have to be changed to accomodate the magneto ignition. Pat
Thanks Pat, My neighbor has an old wards with a 16 horse briggs. He told me he bought it used about 20 years ago. it was the best money he ever spent. If i am the winner of the bidding, i will have to consult the old Briggs manuals for the diagram for wiring it up.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Leroy, I am in your camp. I just got this at an auction last Monday for $60.00. With it came a two wheel cart and a pressure washer. Now I need a tractor to put it in.:D:D [img]/club2/attach/blt/SmlBrigs.jpg[/img]
Nice buy Bob. I work to much to make it to an actual auction, or a early yard sale. Ebay is the best way for me i guess.

Kris it is expensive. I have had it with other peoples junk because has costed me plenty or grief if not cash and a great deal of down time. I really want a new engine. If this the engine if you all agree is good for my application i will think it is a low price compared to the small engine warehouse. The add says Briggs 16hp model # 326437-0257-01 Series # 7811201 Manufacture Date is 1978 (november) Engine is from a Yazoo commerical mower, brought into our shop for major overhaul after sitting for over 15 years. We completed a major overhaul including the starter and carburetor. This is a complete unit, needing only to be hooked up to your fuel system. Used on many Craftsman , Simplicity, Sears, and others during the 60's & 70's. We have done the 5 hour break-in and first oil service. The engine will be shipped UPS or can be picked up, we will ship without oil !!! Overhaul Details: New, crankshaft bearings(ball @ $38 ea.), piston, rings, rod, govenor, slinger, seals, carb kit, starter brushes and bendix, air fillter, muffler, coil, point, condenser, valves. The cylinder was honed only, this engine is running a new standard piston and rings, block showed NO ware. The govenor and carburetor have been adjusted and set and should require only minor adjusting for your installation. Other than faded paint this is a new engine inside and out. If you have ever owned one of these then you know that this is one tuff engine, a real work horse. This engine is no longer avaiable from Briggs, but the short block is. It is part # 393870 and costs $790.00, this is a complete unit with parts worth more than $1500. I will offer a full money back guarantee if this engine is not exactly as discribed. Call directly for more detail. Good luck bidding. 423-928-7107. Phil --------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Briggs 326431 16 HP Horizontal Cast Iron 1" Keyed shaft, works great on most Simplicity, AC tractors Limited Quantity Item: Only 1 Remaining $950.00 402447 16 HP Horizontal 1" Keyed Shaft, Opposed Twin, IC, Electric Start, Oil Filter Limited Quantity Item: Only 2 Remaining $850.00 $49.95 - $189.95 If it goes higher than new i wont buy it.

Leroy, I did a similar overhaul on a 14HP cast iron Briggs recently and had almost $550 in it and thought that I was getting a bargain compared to buying a new engine... IMO if that 16 HP has had that much done to it and the seller is willing to stand behind it, then it is worth at least $650.....

Brand new 16 hp Briggs in this 917H. Bought the engine from Small Engine Warehouse for $800.00 a year ago. You will need a driveshaft out of a 7016 and the big rubber spacer. The driveshaft for kohler twin is to short. The throttle cable for the twin is also to short and the one for a 7016 is a perfect fit. You will not have to raise the engine at all and it will bolt right in. The ignition switch is also different. Plenty of power and you won`t even notice the difference between the two:). You can probably get the parts from Smilin Sam.

My 7117H was bought from a local Simplicity dealers junk heap a couple years ago. It was a village mow tractor...very rough life it had seen. Engine was blown and missing. Brought it home and installed the newly rebuilt Briggs from my 7013S. I think it was rebored +.20. Engine bolted right in the 7117H frame. Drive shaft had to be lengthened around 1-1/2 " if I remember correctly. Wiring came out of the 7013 complete. Oil drain hole thru the frame had to be radiused out a bit as I recall. I removed the stock 7013S muffler and brought a muffler straight out and tilted down with a 45 degree black elbow. Power ??? Runs the 48" deck fine. Runs the snowblower fine also. Fuel usuage seems to be very stingy...runs a LONG time on a fill up. I bought another 7117H last year with a sick Kohler twin. Am planning to do the same to it this mowing season. ken

quote:
Originally posted by dirtsaver
Bob what hp is your engine? Maybe I can talk you into sending it down my way since I have a B-10 frame or two missing the powerplant! Larry kg4zar
Larry, I have a B-10 engine in the shed. It does not have the S/G and air cleaner. I bought it when I thought my 10 HP for my 7010 went south. I had it running a few years ago and if I remember it has reasonable compression. I bought it for $60 and if it is of any interest, let me know. The engine I bought in the pic is 16HP. Leroy, the 16HP in my 3112 is from a Yazoo, 1977 vintage. It had a cracked head, hence a cheap price when I bought it, well the whole mower. Anyway when I looked down the bore I could still see the original cross hatch marks. Even though it seems pricey, it should be in pretty good shape inside.

Leroy, Ray S is right on. I installed a 16HP Briggs in my 17GHT-L last fall. The 17 3/8" driveshaft used for the Koller KT17 is a couple of inches short. If you use the large rubber spacer, the driveshaft needs to be about 19+ inches long, a little longer if the thick rubber spacer isn't used.

Ok, maybe Sam Does have the parts. But i don't yet own the engine. I was hopeing to get some feedback on this engine and you all or ya'll have been very helpfull.